Raptor R, all time 4 wheel drive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rarely put the truck in 4A the pull from the steering wheel to straighten out is very noticeable, does that bother you at all? That’s the main reason I never use it outside of a snow storm.
That is your front torsion diff causing that. I got an 800A and purposefully left it off (I had it on my 2017) because I did not like how it felt. Definitely important to have for off-road use, but not necessarily needed for the streets.

Raptor R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the R doesn’t have full time AWD.

I’m always in 2WD unless it’s crappy weather and I don’t want to end up in the rhubarb.
I agree with this. Don’t want full time AWD. There is just no need for that, as you will not always be driving the truck like a maniac. There will be times that you just wanna cruise.

TXRaaptor

@thebeardedbrand
Reaction score
Wow....I can't believe this. Full-time AWD is a deal breaker for me. I would never buy a TRX because of that and would hesitate on a G2 Raptor because Baja mode defaults to 4x4 (I'm still unclear if you can force RWD after entering Baja). How do you easily slide sideways in 4WD/AWD? It certainly takes a lot more fuel/speed to do it.
You just select 2wd after putting it in Baja mode then you’re good to go

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can absolutely switch to 2wd in Baja mode.

you can switch back to 2WD from Baja mode. At Raptor Assault they’ll tell you that’s the quickest mode for the truck—-Baja mode, then select 2WD

I thought that was the case, but I had heard both you can and you can't. Not having a Gen2, I never bothered to confirm.

You just select 2wd after putting it in Baja mode then you’re good to go
It is still unclear.

Token

Reaction score
A little derailed. But it was a huge source of contention with the G2 came out and people couldn't lock the rear in 2wd to do hoodrat shit with their friends. I was one of them. Although, I did find that in either baja or sport mode the rear diff would lock up much better than in normal. I'm not sure if it was in my head. See profile pic. Really hoping AWD isn't a must on any Raptor ever. It's not always the fastest way to get around, but 2wd is much more fun when getting from point A-B fastest isn't the priority.