Raptor R against Shelby F-150 supercharged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because that’s an aftermarket package with an advertised number and no validation. It’s not OEM engineered, it’s a conglomeration of various aftermarket parts with some badges stuck on. Just like the Gen 1 “Roush” trucks; they advertise “700HP” but can’t outrun a base model F-150.

The Shelby/Tuscany/Roush/Hennessy/SVC are all garbage; they share a penchant for taking a perfectly good running engine and destroying it by modding it outside of its intended design and purpose. Which is why they underperform and fail.
200.gif

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You hit it on the head. The Shelby name has a legacy but man, it has been taken into the realms of folklore.

The current Shelby offerings (not the Ford manufactured stuff) are created with a mix of parts from great suppliers that are actually "private label" or rebranded. This is good when the supplier has an actual engineering process that includes validation. Some of the the stuff is from an "engineered to fit" mindset (read: worse than the oem parts they replace).

The Ford engineered Shelby vehicles are great. Unfortunately, there is this myth that Shelby helped designed and engineer them. Truth be told, other than some opinion sharing, he just took a big check. I'm ok with that.

There are car people and Shelby people. Car people understand the "big check" comment, no big deal. Shelby people think and perpetuate a lot of lies and myths.

I used to own a 2007 GT500 several years back. There were countless times when I would be at a gas station and get approached by a "Shelby" guy who was clearly a fan of the car and the brand. Usually they would walk around the car and tell me all of the great things Carol Shelby did to help engineer and guide Ford. It would be different stories every time, but each time, all of it was BS. I'm not one to crush dreams so I would just thank them and move along with my day.
Father owned an avionics business at Van Nuys Airport for decades... Got to meet allot of movie stars and musicians and famous figures working/hanging out there during the summers. One of those people.... Carrol Shelby. He was talking with Murdoc Dole about his sons AC Cobra and I waited politly to shake his hand and say that i was fan.... i was a teen. I asked him and pointed to the AC Cobra in front of us in the hanger about the shifter and why it was the way it was.... His exact response.... "kid, i have no idea... you have to ask the guys who designed it." I was shocked... Will never forget it.

I think most the stories about him are ********. Was a decent driver but one hell of a bullshiter and salesman. He was a figure head that boomers could hang onto for badassery. Nothing more.. and aside from the gt350 n 500 cars of today... everythig is gawdy af.

1966 F100 Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shelby and Hennessey tend to dream on power numbers. Oh, it's easy 25% loss . . . They take a dyno number on high octane fuel to get numbers the general public will not see then inflate it by claiming a really high loss in HP.

If one uses the power to weight ratio one will see it's a joke.

Now if you take the power numbers of a new Raptor R the claim to be 700/640 but then figure using and power to weight calculators on a R that is 5960 ish but add fuel and say 175lb driver or bring race weight to 6200 lbs and it runs 12.0 in quarter mile @ 114 mph it would take 719 wheel hp to do that. This pretty much indicates The R is making much more than 700 hp to flywheel. Will be interesting to see some actual numbers. When I figure my Raptor powered F100 I am using 14% loss not 25% like some are doing.

Yeti360

Reaction score
Really who cars if your gonna worry about drag race times get the TRX and modify it. IMO I would rather put on my own aftermarket parts onto a R instead of the overdone Shelby badging. If your going to change colors I would do Azure first year with that color and first year of the R.

Last edited:

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shelby is an aftermarket package installed by Tuscany in Indiana. It’s not a Ford production vehicle. It doesn’t compare to a factory engineered vehicle like the Raptor R; the “Shelby” is a conglomerate of aftermarket parts and badges.
That wasn't the question lol. OEM is good, great aftermarket is better. Tuscany isn't that, but you can't discount how much the aftermarket helps move the industry forward. As I'm sure you know, a surprising amount is sourced from suppliers, which are often market leading aftermarket companies in their own right.

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Love this forum. Got a new Tremor for the wife-us... Joined that forum. This one hands down makes me laugh the most. If you tried to respond as such there, hurt feelings.
Yeah, we don't have feelings. Or maybe the few that were wilting flowers wilted and left. Dunno. I'd feel bad, but I don't have feelings. :)

DRMWVR

Reaction score
IMG_6152.jpeg
I have a 2019 Shelby F150 and a 2023 37PP they are worlds apart the Raptor is so technologically advanced steering, suspension, exhaust 5 link on and on. But I will say the Shelby is fast! I have not had any TRX's beat me and I am only 755hp. I am hoping Ford pulls their heads out to their asses and builds more R's