Raptor Pricing is Insane!! Or is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fts

Reaction score
... I think Ford should have done a front locker on the Tremor but I don’t have a enough knowledge to know if the Torshen Diff is just as reliable?
I don't think it is more or less reliable than a locking differential, the TORSEN that is. However, I am glad that FORD is smarter to put TORSEN on the Raptor. A locking diff, arguably, is more useful on a Bronco, depending on intended use, but for any vehicle that will be going more than 5 mph and taking turns off-road, a TORSEN diff is the right choice.

One area that is I think could classify TORSEN as more reliable is that there are no electronics, it is all mechanical, nothing to adjust, activate, deactivate, etc. The locking diff on the Bronco, for example, is electronically controlled, and during off-roading all electronics are susceptible to failure before mechanical bits.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me on this, NOTHING like the Raptor! The Gen2 prices even drove me over to DODGE?? W-T-F I know, lol, (it would have been the end of what little self-respect I have left) I looked hard at the Power Wagon but it’s still an extended cab posing as a crew cab. The front locker and winch I loved. I think Ford should have done a front locker on the Tremor but I don’t have a enough knowledge to know if the Torsen Diff is just as reliable? The PW rode the road like my HS teachers 70 something PW.
I always tell people. It rides like an Escalade on the highway and will take me anywhere that I want to go and some I shouldn’t (see Raptor on a Razor Trail?)
IMHO
Yeah the second I saw the Gen 3 and the changes to the rear end, my flirtation stopped with the AT4. Looked at the TRX for a minute as well, but it’s just to big and drinks too much. I want an off-roader, not a drag racer. Even when I look at the F150 tremor I’m like ‘bleh’ after researching the Raptor.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I don't think it is more or less reliable than a locking differential, the TORSEN that is. However, I am glad that FORD is smarter to put TORSEN on the Raptor. A locking diff, arguably, is more useful on a Bronco, depending on intended use, but for any vehicle that will be going more than 5 mph and taking turns off-road, a TORSEN diff is the right choice.

One area that is I think could classify TORSEN as more reliable is that there are no electronics, it is all mechanical, nothing to adjust, activate, deactivate, etc. The locking diff on the Bronco, for example, is electronically controlled, and during off-roading all electronics are susceptible to failure before mechanical bits.
Thank You, that’s what I figured. Locking the front of my Jeep’s was like driving an M1 Tank on an obstacle course, lol. Oh and thank you for the spell check (Torsen) I knew it was wrong but was to lazy to check :banghead: it’s been corrected lol

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score

On a side note, ( turns OFFROAD) I’ve learned the hard way, you can’t run “S” turn roads at speed with the Rear Locked either! It only took me 30+ years to figure that out :chair::chair:

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a typical year Ford is rumored to produce around 24k Raptors, 70 trucks a shift. It helps keep the Raptors resale value high and it's a very desirable off-road capable truck with a cool Baja vibe to it. I think they were around $40k in 2010 with a V8. Almost 12 years later a V6 Raptor starts at $65k.

Last edited:
OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
In a typical year Ford is rumored to produce around 24k Raptors, 70 trucks a shift. It helps keep the Raptors resale value high and it's a very desirable off-road capable truck with a cool Baja vibe to it. I think they were around $40k in 2010 with a V8. Now a V6 Raptor starts at $65k.
I would have to look. Ill try and find the sticker if i still have it, I think i gave it to the kid I sold it to last Aug, I seem to remember $53K with with every option they offered, plus shell and light bar!! First of the 2010's into Vegas.

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought a Gen1 back in 2012 bought 2013 fully loaded everything but the kitchen sink. Mostly cause there was no kitchen sink box to check. Dealer gave 1000 over invoice plus tax and license. 50,950.00 for the truck. I thought that was alot then. Loved the v8 and my wife decided she wanted a hellcat. So I sold the Raptor for 53,000.00. Now i sit quietly waiting for a new v8 Raptor. In the mean time picked up a hybrid Jeep. Can drive around town for nothing for now. My solar generates all the electricity i need so I'm waiting. The hell cats all paid for jeep will be paid for by this time next year. So I'm gonna choke on a 90,000.00 price tag for a new Raptor. I just want a v8 nothing more nothing less.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
<Disclaimer > I’m far from a Raptor Expert or a Trophy Truck Racer or Team Owner.
But… I have owned a Raptor since day one in 2010, I waited 6 months after ordering to get my first Gen1 in my hands. I’ve driven 275k miles total between my 2 Gen1’s and my current Gen2, probably 50/50, 60/40 Trail/Pavement.
I have run the Gambit of putting Tens of Thousands of dollars into my Trucks, Jeep’s and H2’s. I’m far from a wrench turner any more. I couldn’t even locate the fuel pump now. I know an abundance of worthless information though, so I got that going for me. But I do have ears and I listen to people I know and trust.
Where does the Raptor fit into all this??
In 2010 I had a friend that knew the Herbst Boys of Herbst Racing. A Big name in the Vegas Off-Road Racing community.
My “Friend” told me that the family bought like 5 or so Raptors when they came out. A couple to use a Race Pre-runners. They said that there wasn’t another factory truck that they could buy, that had a WARRANTY and they couldn’t come close to building one at the cost they could get a Raptor for from Ford.
I believe that holds true, even today. I got my first Gen1 $5k UNDER MSRP! With the insane success of the Raptor we will never see this ever again. The prices are Beyond my understanding, in the mid 80’s I could have bought a nice house on 2acres in Columbus GA for the price of my Gen2!!
I’ve been a public servant my hole life so I’ve had to skip a day or two of food for the kids to make the Raptor payment.
Is the Raptor price Insane, Of course it is, but… It’s still a “Bargain” for what your getting, especially if you use it Off-Road.
HAPPY RAPTORING :pepper::pepper::grd::grd:

I have to say. Reading things like this make me so excited for my 22. I’ve always dreamed of a raptor, but settled for other toys through the years. Honda S2000, 1000hp Evo, built 5th Gen 4runner, and a Jeep Rubi unlimited most recently,
It’s finally time for the raptor I’ve always wanted.
Kind of crazy I thought $50k was a lot for one back in the day and here I am spending damn near $80k.

Did I make the right choice??

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
<Disclaimer > I’m far from a Raptor Expert or a Trophy Truck Racer or Team Owner.

I have to say. Reading things like this make me so excited for my 22. I’ve always dreamed of a raptor, but settled for other toys through the years. Honda S2000, 1000hp Evo, built 5th Gen 4runner, and a Jeep Rubi unlimited most recently,
It’s finally time for the raptor I’ve always wanted.
Kind of crazy I thought $50k was a lot for one back in the day and here I am spending damn near $80k.

Did I make the right choice??
You will always have one now, you can never go back :favorites37:post some pics when you get her

RussS

Reaction score
Having just got back from an exploration drive across sand and trails where I had to pull 4 different vehicles out of trouble I can tell you categorically the Raptor is the king of off-road. I have driven it hard and fast on all kinds of terrain and it hasn’t skipped a beat - power when you need it, finesse when required. Yes they cost a lot (new or used) but if you can afford it, and you can use it for the purpose it was designed, it will be one of the best things you ever buy!