Raptor Pricing is Insane!! Or is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anthony4135

Reaction score
Will the extreme prices hold?
Time will tell. With the upcoming R, will the V6 hold? I have a TRX, my 37 Raptor just landed. I never owned a Ram, never a Ford. Always Tundras.

I have to say driving a TRX for a month and then driving the 37 Raptor it was kind of like a gorgeous girl that was horrible in bed. Looks great, but felt cheap on the interior. Small knobs,
The exhaust makes a louder humming sound. When I floored it, it didn’t really get up and go. Seats are okay, not as comfortable as the TRX with a richer feel.

I don’t know. Waited 4 months and kind of disappointing. The thing that concerns me the most was the shifting of gears. It seemed to shutter shifting into 2bd. I went home and found a ton of bad stuff on the 10 speed, to include 2020 F150s built in Dearborn.

I think if I never drove the TRX I would be thrilled with the Raptor. But now I don’t know. Not trying to upset anyone. But, thought it’s worth putting out there to a bunch of guys like me spending a lot of money. All the new tech had its risk. But I love the 8 cylinder.

stoppard stop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time will tell. With the upcoming R, will the V6 hold? I have a TRX, my 37 Raptor just landed. I never owned a Ram, never a Ford. Always Tundras.

I have to say driving a TRX for a month and then driving the 37 Raptor it was kind of like a gorgeous girl that was horrible in bed. Looks great, but felt cheap on the interior. Small knobs,
The exhaust makes a louder humming sound. When I floored it, it didn’t really get up and go. Seats are okay, not as comfortable as the TRX with a richer feel.

I don’t know. Waited 4 months and kind of disappointing. The thing that concerns me the most was the shifting of gears. It seemed to shutter shifting into 2bd. I went home and found a ton of bad stuff on the 10 speed, to include 2020 F150s built in Dearborn.

I think if I never drove the TRX I would be thrilled with the Raptor. But now I don’t know. Not trying to upset anyone. But, thought it’s worth putting out there to a bunch of guys like me spending a lot of money. All the new tech had its risk. But I love the 8 cylinder.
I put 1500 miles on my 21 w 35s and each shift has been butter smooth. Sound wise, yeah if you have a TRX it probably isnt the best thing your ears have heard, but certainly coming from an 18 ecoboost to this, the sound is significantly better.

nickdavis1

Reaction score
I use my raptor to chase a few races a year when not co driving. I get to go to the remote pits that not many other can go Unless in a raptor and no trailer or equally built truck. Nice doing it in a basically stock truck!
So I can chase trophy trucks in my raptor and hit the remote pit stops?? Sounds bad ***! Keep my truck in top condition low miles fresh tires waiting to be probably broken in!

nickdavis1

Reaction score

I think the new link rear suspension makes them slower accelerating IMO.. plus 37’s

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I flirted with the AT4 for a minute. But the suspension is such a lackluster effort. GM needs to step up their off-road game big time.
I also considered an AT4. I couldn't justify the price they want, so went with a Raptor instead. Proven track record and holds value very well. IMO the GMs interior is dated compared to the 21 Fords. However, I did read that they plan on updating it for 22.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also considered an AT4. I couldn't justify the price they want, so went with a Raptor instead. Proven track record and holds value very well. IMO the GMs interior is dated compared to the 21 Fords. However, I did read that they plan on updating it for 22.
Yeah I saw that they were finally updating the interior. Still doesn’t do it for me though now that I’m knee deep in Raptor research. It’s raptor or bust for me now…..

Ragnar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that they were finally updating the interior. Still doesn’t do it for me though now that I’m knee deep in Raptor research. It’s raptor or bust for me now…..
I am with you on that. Ordered a 21 in June and got burned by the dealer. Told myself, I am not giving up on getting my dream truck. I have to go out of state a considerable distance, but sounds like it will be worth it after reading GEN 3 reviews. :pepper:

ENUNC8

Reaction score
Personally I could never justify the cost of a Raptor when I could build my own truck with better suspension and without all the electronics that love to go bad. I turned a wrench for 30 plus years and could perform any part of the build...that is what true hot rodders do - they build their own.
But when I had a chance to get my '18 SCAB Lead Foot Gray Raptor withOUT all the whiz bang options and only 13K on the clock...I thought 43K was fair. So a pulled the trigger. It is a great truck for a factory build.
Most of the dealers in Northern Cal (where I don't live anymore), jack the price up a minimum of 10K...forget that.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with you on that. Ordered a 21 in June and got burned by the dealer. Told myself, I am not giving up on getting my dream truck. I have to go out of state a considerable distance, but sounds like it will be worth it after reading GEN 3 reviews. :pepper:
Right there with ya buddy. I’m driving it back 1100 miles. The dealers here in Az are all $10-15k ADM, and the one dealer I know that is MSRP has a list into 2024 probably. So I drive!

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the Raptor stories, here is mine, sort of. I used to race trucks off road occasionally, amature stuff, back in 1976-78, I had a regular cab Ford pick up 4WD, big v8, lift kit and tall tires. Driving it off road was a trade off. I would beat the crap out of it on the weekend and it would abuse me all week while I worked on it repairing the diff's, axle bearings, U joints, broken this and that. I remember going up the hills and seeing nothing but sky, then as it cleared the top, bang the front, then another bang as the rear suspension bottomed out when it left the ground. It always felt like I was coming in for a nose first landing as all I could see thru the front was dirt. While, I wouldn't trade those memories for anything, as it was bone jarring fun for a young man, it was expensive to say the least.
So imagine what it felt like when I got my first Raptor, a million years later, 2014 Gen 1, I went out to see what it could handle, it would fly without any complaints, and nothing to repair the next week, WOW. Someone finally built a truck that could take the abuse. I had it for 6 years then sold it in 2020, with hopes of getting a new one, I ordered one in June 2021, to no avail, went into the "clean unscheduled" abyss, what an idiot I was! I have no idea if Ford will ever build me another one, or if my order will just disappear, but if they do, my kids will have to fight over it after I am gone because I will never part with it, by choice...