Raptor or ecoboost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirks5oh

Reaction score
Guys,

Looking to replace my '05 explorer with a daily driver for winter/etc.

What I need::

Good winter driver--I live in Wisconsin, and this will be my winter daily. We get a decent amount of snow

Room for 5--I have three young kids. I will need to add DVD players. Kids hate my exploder because it has no DVD players so we use the wife's rig to go everywhere. How hard is it for a 6 year old to climb into one of these trucks?

Comfort--truck needs to drive good enough to make me want to drive it. I have a 15 minute commute most of the time. Heated seats a must

Power--I don't own a vehicle with less than 400hp, aside from the exploder. I would certainly modify an ecoboost, but I don't need a 12 second truck. I like the sound of a v8, and can't get my head wrapped around how aweful echo boosts sound with exhaust

Towing--couple times a year I will need to tow an enclosed race trailer with a 3200-3800 lb race car. Sounds like the ecoboost does this a bit better, but I need to have that capability occasionally

Exclusivity--I like driving unique cars. Everybody and their mother has an f150, I like to be a bit unique.

Gas mileage--don't really care, as long as the tank is big enough that I don't have to fill up constantly.

Does the raptor fit my needs? What do you guys think? Should I just go with a loaded fx-4 ecoboost? What price should I be looking to get for a blue, extended cab, with the luxury package, tail gate step, and graphics? Do dealers offer x-plan pricing?

Thanks for the info

Kirk

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say if you don't already know just get an FX4. Raptor buying isn't something you put logic to. You either want to drive the most badass factory truck out there or you drive a regular F150 and are good with that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good winter driver--Cant help you here. Dont get much snow where Im from.

Room for 5--Obviously the raptor sits higher so it will be a little harder but shouldnt be too big of an issue.

Comfort--You'll be taking the scenic route to work with the raptor. 10 way power, heated, leather seats like to cuddle

Power--Mine ran mid-15's in the 1/4 mile. Not too shabby for a pickup truck on 35's.

Towing--Biggest thing I tow is a 14' ATV trailer with 3 ATVs and camping gear or occasionally my dads 21' boat. Does just fine with both.

Exclusivity--You'll definitely turn more heads with a raptor. Prepare to be bombarded with compliments.

Gas mileage--36 gal tank. Usually gets me a little over 400 miles

My $0.02--GET A RAPTOR!

OP
OP
K

Kirks5oh

Reaction score
I'd say if you don't already know just get an FX4. Raptor buying isn't something you put logic to. You either want to drive the most badass factory truck out there or you drive a regular F150 and are good with that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was set on a regular f150, but suddenly realized they are everywhere. I like driving something a little unique--that, in itself is enough motivation to buy this truck. None of the vehicles I own are logical, economical, or even remotely necessary--so this truck would be no different. I live in a small town, and no one else has one. I've never owned a pickup before. Just making sure the raptor can do everything on the list. My wife will probably drive it too.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO you already know the answer and that is why you posted this question on a Raptor Forum. You're just looking for the "Reasonable, Politically Correct, Run of the Mill, Joe Average answer to not buy a Raptor.

If you want a Raptor, get it! NO IFS, ANDS, OR BUTS! You'll NEVER regret it! If you buy the ecoboost, you'll regret it EVERY time you drive past one of the cool guys driving a Raptor! I promise!

There is NO (ZERO) comparison between the two. Stop trying to find a justification. Get he RAPTOR!

Oh, by the way; WELCOME TO THE FORUM,
(hopefully as a future Raptor Owner)

Jeff Quinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get what you want. I don't need a Raptor. I have a Z71 GMC 4WD, a 3/4 ton Chevy diesel, and a Suburban. I don't want the grandkids watching a DVD. I want them looking out the window, and talking with me and each other. A good used F150 is the logical choice. You can get one geared low with a small V-8, and have plenty of towing power.

However, I ain't logical, and I ordered a 2014 Raptor last week, with all the cool stuff! Ain't no way a pickup should cost over $25,000, but I paid twice as much, because I by-golly wanted a Raptor!Wanting is reason enough.

Jeff

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get what you want. I don't need a Raptor. I have a Z71 GMC 4WD, a 3/4 ton Chevy diesel, and a Suburban. I don't want the grandkids watching a DVD. I want them looking out the window, and talking with me and each other. A good used F150 is the logical choice. You can get one geared low with a small V-8, and have plenty of towing power.

However, I ain't logical, and I ordered a 2014 Raptor last week, with all the cool stuff! Ain't no way a pickup should cost over $25,000, but I paid twice as much, because I by-golly wanted a Raptor!Wanting is reason enough.

Jeff

You had me worried there! ...But then you came around! Great to hear!

cswht

Reaction score
Get the Raptor. I have had a 4X4 Lariat ecoboost for two years and while it is a good truck, I just could not get used to the sound or lack of it. There is nothing you can do to make an ecoboost sound good. No other F150 drives like the Raptor or sounds like the 6.2L in the Raptor. I test drove all of them and I ordered my 2014 Raptor in September and can't wait to get it.

You can't get X-plan pricing on the raptor, but can get a good deal if you are willing to look around and order one.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for the Raptor, it will probably end up costing less than the FX4. Back in 2010 I built an FX4 with as many of the goodies that came on the Raptor (obviously some things aren't available on the FX) & it cost more than the Raptor. Plus the resale on the Raptor will kill the FX 4. It wont be that much harder for your kid to climb into the Raptor, besides, they grow like weeds.
The one real downside for the Raptor is the width & to a smaller degree the height. This sucker is wide, so if you have a garage that is tight as a nun's who-who, you might have some issues....
If you do go for the FX 4, get the 5L instead of the Eco. The 5L sounds great, delivers great mileage & I bet there are a lot more hop ups for it than the eco.

Last edited: