Raptor Missed a gear during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
i've had this happen to me twice, both times happened after i had used the paddles shortly before the event. Example: come off a highway to a tight 270 degree turn exit ramp. I downshifted a few times coming into the exit, but by the time I was at the end of the exit ramp the truck had moved itself back out of holding the gears manually back to fully automatic (i.e. the gear indicator disappeared and the truck upshifted on its own).
200.gif

a point of clarification: you were using the paddles, were you actually in manual mode, or did you just lock out gears? There’s a difference.

Locking out gears - you just manipulate the paddles/buttons to downshift, you’re just commanding the transmission to not use the gears you downshift past. In manual transmission mode ( at least in the Jen Too ), the truck will automatically downshift for you, but the truck doesn’t revert to auto. If you come to a stop, you’re locked in first. If you take off you will hit the rev limiter very quickly, as 1st is a very short gear.

gear indicator disappearing is a feature bug in manipulating the paddles or gear shift buttons. The first button / paddle hit removes the gear indicator display, the 2nd locks out a gear, and so on until you lock out all of them. I’ve never done that but I have locked out gears but I don’t like the typical shifting with lockout. I prefer to either be in manual or drop out of it.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 405509

a point of clarification: you were using the paddles, were you actually in manual mode, or did you just lock out gears? There’s a difference.

Locking out gears - you just manipulate the paddles/buttons to downshift, you’re just commanding the transmission to not use the gears you downshift past. In manual transmission mode ( at least in the Jen Too ), the truck will automatically downshift for you, but the truck doesn’t revert to auto. If you come to a stop, you’re locked in first. If you take off you will hit the rev limiter very quickly, as 1st is a very short gear.

gear indicator disappearing is a feature bug in manipulating the paddles or gear shift buttons. The first button / paddle hit removes the gear indicator display, the 2nd locks out a gear, and so on until you lock out all of them. I’ve never done that but I have locked out gears but I don’t like the typical shifting with lockout. I prefer to either be in manual or drop out of it.
when you engage the paddles in the gen 3 not in manual mode, it acts as if you are in manual mode for a short period of time (ie it will keep the gear you've selected) and show what gear you are in on the dash. when it times out, D appears again in place of the gear number and automatic mode reengages.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2022, 4,700 miles, zero mods, no fluid or CEL... Everything looks normal other than it bouncing off the rev limiter and slowing down in the middle of traffic.
my truck did the same exact thing at 5k miles... they put a new trans in my truck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Jalopnik, but this class action lawsuit might be of interest.

Only of interest to ambulance chasing scumbag lawyers. The last class action for these claimed “issues” was without merit and was thrown out by the judge.

“Because of the defect, the class vehicles are likely to suffer serious damages and potentially catch fire if accidents occur, and there is an unreasonable and extreme risk of serious bodily harm or death to the vehicle’s occupants and others in the vicinity,” the suit reads.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
harshly and erratically, causing the vehicle to jerk, lunge, clunk and hesitate between gears,” adding “some consumers have even reported experiencing a sudden loss of power while driving their vehicle.”

Don’t your vehicle do all these things when it runs out of gas?

OP
OP
Tommy21

Tommy21

Reaction score
my truck did the same exact thing at 5k miles... they put a new trans in my truck.

It didn’t throw a code, so ford said it didn’t happen… I’m having all sorts of other electronic issues after they replaced the fuse box and wiring harness. Currently in the lemon buy back process.