Raptor Maintenance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnP

Reaction score
Looking in to getting a used raptor but I was just wondering how the maintenance is on these things. The ones I am looking into have around 40k-50k miles on them, so it that a deal breaker? So what I am basically asking is if I get a used raptor with around those miles, will I have problems, have to pay for repairs, re-do things, etc., I just don't want to spend money and have the thing fall apart on me. How well will it hold up?

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking in to getting a used raptor but I was just wondering how the maintenance is on these things. The ones I am looking into have around 40k-50k miles on them, so it that a deal breaker? So what I am basically asking is if I get a used raptor with around those miles, will I have problems, have to pay for repairs, re-do things, etc., I just don't want to spend money and have the thing fall apart on me. How well will it hold up?

Just add gasoline and change the oil.

All seriousness, you're getting around the normal maintaness stuff like servicing the Diffs and transmission but nothing serious. The motor is probably good for 200k or more if properly maintained an plugs I believe are good for 100k. I think the shocks are good for 100-150k as well. Now with that said, you want to examin the truck carefully for damage. These trucks are at times driven hard and in some cases beyond their limitations. An example is the bent frame issues a while back. Just do a search but You can tell pretty easy by the gap between the bed and cab or the angle of the bump stops. We have an excellent group of venders who sell a wide assortment of aftrmarket parts to help prevent his issue as well as really beefing up an protecting your investment. Anyhow, this site is full of extremely knowledgable people an people who want hesitate to answer your questions.

Ray

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually vehicles have a 60k tune up that requires a good chunk of change. i dont know about the truck though, butmake sure that its either been done or they do it for you.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my 2011 Raptor and after reading the manual, trans and diffs and trans case at 150k miles! I'll probably do sooner, but dang, that is a long haul on those synthetic fluids! I am worried that when one of those Fox shocks fail, I'll be selling an organ to replace it, but I don't think they should fail for a LONG time. It does take 7 quarts of 5W-20 oil, and I'll be doing Mobile 1, but again they don't want an oil change for 6 months of 7500 miles! I really think maintenance won't be worse than a regular F150.

Just 2 cents from a Raptor newbie.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Just got my 2011 Raptor and after reading the manual, trans and diffs and trans case at 150k miles! I'll probably do sooner, but dang, that is a long haul on those synthetic fluids! I am worried that when one of those Fox shocks fail, I'll be selling an organ to replace it, but I don't think they should fail for a LONG time. It does take 7 quarts of 5W-20 oil, and I'll be doing Mobile 1, but again they don't want an oil change for 6 months of 7500 miles! I really think maintenance won't be worse than a regular F150.

Just 2 cents from a Raptor newbie.

I had a rear shock fail on me, but it was because of how I was driving it. I was lucky and got a used set from RPG and saved myself some cash that way. If you lose a shock, the best thing to do is call one of the vendors who does a lot of suspension mods RPG, SDHQ, ADD, Outlaw, etc... and see if they have a set of stockers they're willing to part with.

If you're not driving it really hard off-road they'll last you a LONG time though.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Oh and to anyone looking to buy one used, look that sucker over really carefully. Definitely check the angle of the bump stops as well as looking down the bed rail towards the front of the truck to see if the bed rail and window sills are close to level, along with the bed/cab gap, these are tell tale signs of a bent frame.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got mine used at 29000 got 39000 now and have had a warrantee service to the trans. I've got the clunk but so do most of us.
Buy a powerwasher! just power washed her undercarriage today hate all the dirt that gets in the wheel wheels , fenders ect, she's all clean! Tux black still looks good.
I recommend full syn oil change, costs more but lasts longer.
Take a look at the trucks guys are selling here on the site. Enthusiasts enjoy their trucks but take great care of them too! Let us know what you get. good luck