raptor leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ironpeddler

Reaction score
I got in my raptor the other day and noticed a dinner sized dried puddle of something on the drivers side floor mat under the steering wheel. It was a decent sized puddle. Reached my hand up under the steering wheel and was able to get some kind of liquid on my finger. Didn't smell like engine oil but it definitely was not water. Maybe some steering fluid? Nothing was under the truck on the outside this was leaking inside of the cab. Anyone had this problem? Can anyone tell me what this is?

OP
OP
I

ironpeddler

Reaction score
I do have a sunroof.

If you reach your hand above where the brake/throttle pedals are kind of behind the steering wheel you can get whatever fluid is leaking on your hands. The dried puddle was right at the bottom of the brake pedal. I don't think there could be anyway the sunroof would leak to this spot. And it wasn't water this is definitely some kind of other oily fluid.

CACRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. They had to replace my brake pedal assembly. It wasn't clear if it was grease or brake fluid but after the replacement it hasn't left a puddle again.

OP
OP
I

ironpeddler

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing. They had to replace my brake pedal assembly. It wasn't clear if it was grease or brake fluid but after the replacement it hasn't left a puddle again.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Have a service appt. next week so hopefully they get it fixed quickly.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is it coolant and possibly the heater core is leaking? Or brake fluid. Pull some coolant out of the reservoir (cold engine) with a turkey baster and see if it's the same fluid. You can also do brake fluid out of overfill to check if its either of those two.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I would put my money on it being brake fluid. You might not want to drive it until its fixed just in case it is brake fluid, no brakes make for no fun!

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your brake fluid level to be sure its not getting low. We'd hate to hear that you rear ended someone with your new truck. (or worse) If it's a clear oily substance, it's more than likely brake fluid. I would insist on having the carpet replaced if it leaked into it. Brake fluid is very caustic and will even dissolve paint right down to the bare metal so be careful not to track it into your wife's kitchen.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the reason noted above you want to clean it off any painted metal under there. It will eat the paint off anything. What to clean it off with I don't really know. Maybe isopropyl alcohol? Any ideas from you guys that have had it?

CACRaptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my case the leak was all on the brake pedal and the rubber mat. It cleaned off the rubber mat easily and the dealership replaced the whole brake pedal assembly, so I never had any paint issues.