Raptor Hood Decal - How Difficult to Install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mesposito

Reaction score
How difficult is this to install? I've never applied a decal to a vehicle much less something as intimidating as the entire hood of a large truck. Wondering if this is a one-time shot - whereby if you screw up a little bit and need to peel it back off you are screwed - LOL. I have read about others installing it and notice that it is difficult to get it done without a certain amount of bubbling. Alternative would be to have the stealership do it.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How difficult is this to install? I've never applied a decal to a vehicle much less something as intimidating as the entire hood of a large truck. Wondering if this is a one-time shot - whereby if you screw up a little bit and need to peel it back off you are screwed - LOL. I have read about others installing it and notice that it is difficult to get it done without a certain amount of bubbling. Alternative would be to have the stealership do it.

Most dealers won't install. Yes it's a 1 time get it right or ?? install.
Call your local vinyl graphics guys. Show them some pics, and see what they will install it for.

My Parts Mngr. Mike Nobles, trys to keep one in stock. 918 647-2228 About $525.00 shipped, very large flat box. Tell him Randy sent you.

randy

Seeker

Reaction score
A friend of mine owned a body shop and I used to help him out once in a while. I had to install those old woodgrain decals on the entire side of a Ford Country squire wagon one time. Boy, what a PITA that was. I imagine the hood decal would be similar. The real trick is to use the spray bottle with a little Dawn mixed with water sprayed on first. This allows you to reposition a little then squeegee out the bubbles and water. Still, no fun.

I am going to paint the hood on mine a flat black where the decal goes. For me that is a lot easier and cheaper. I don't care about the Raptor logo in it.

yomudderputter

Full Access Member
Reaction score

dude, you tube vinyl decal installation. there are a ton of how to videos . for something as large as the hood i would call a professional. its probably an hour service charge..

baiter joe

Reaction score
if you dont have any install experiance I suggest you find a local graphics company in your area, lots of soapy water and a heat gun. It took me and another person 2hrs. to install mine.

Mark Ducati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to paint the hood on mine a flat black where the decal goes. For me that is a lot easier and cheaper. I don't care about the Raptor logo in it.

This may sound kind of stupid... but is there any functionality to going with a matte black hood decal or paint? Does it really help with glare from the sun or oncoming headlights?

Or is this purely a cosmetic application?

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay to have it done, it is a piece of cake. As someone mentioned before, a light amount of dish soap in a spray bottle with water, wet the suface down thouroughly and lay the decal on the hood. You will find that the decal slips and slides wherever you want it, so positioning is easy. Start in the center using a hand held squeegee and push the water/soap solution to the edges of the decal and out. Let dry for a bit and pull the transfer tape off. whalaa. If you do have a bubble or two, simply poke the center with a sewing pin and squeegee the air/moisture to the hole.

FSM

Seeker

Reaction score
This may sound kind of stupid... but is there any functionality to going with a matte black hood decal or paint? Does it really help with glare from the sun or oncoming headlights?

Or is this purely a cosmetic application?

It can help with glare reduction but my main reason is that I like the look.