Raptor fishtail over small bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed in the picture that you are not running the stock KO2 tires. Are your tires D or E rated? If so, going even lower on the pressure may be needed. The C rated KO2s have a softer sidewall to absorb the bumps better. Higher rated tires have stiffer sidewalls which would contribute to bouncing at the same pressures. If most of your driving is on dirt roads at less than 50 mph, you can lower pressure a lot to help with the bouncing.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I experienced this yesterday for first time, I have 1000 miles on truck , pressures at 36 front 34 rear. In Sport mode while accelerating up slight incline to cross railroad tracks , when tires hit crossing ass end jumped over to left by good amount , caught me off guard was not expecting that. I do notice things stiffen up in sport mode vs normal mode.

OP
OP
Sam9778

Sam9778

Reaction score
I noticed in the picture that you are not running the stock KO2 tires. Are your tires D or E rated? If so, going even lower on the pressure may be needed. The C rated KO2s have a softer sidewall to absorb the bumps better. Higher rated tires have stiffer sidewalls which would contribute to bouncing at the same pressures. If most of your driving is on dirt roads at less than 50 mph, you can lower pressure a lot to help with the bouncing.
It's stock. I'll upload a picture of it.

OP
OP
Sam9778

Sam9778

Reaction score
I experienced this yesterday for first time, I have 1000 miles on truck , pressures at 36 front 34 rear. In Sport mode while accelerating up slight incline to cross railroad tracks , when tires hit crossing ass end jumped over to left by good amount , caught me off guard was not expecting that. I do notice things stiffen up in sport mode vs normal mode.
Yep, same as me. Wasn't expecting any of that until I somehow hit many bumps simultaneously.

OP
OP
Sam9778

Sam9778

Reaction score

20200114_110306.jpg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealerships tend to over inflate Raptor tires.

They aren't the ones over inflating them, but they are the ones responsible for the inflation pressure. It's all part of the PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) process. All vehicles are leave the plant with the tires over inflated to prevent flat spots during shipping. Part of the PDI process (which the dealer gets paid for by the manufacturer) is adjusting the air pressure to spec.

My '19 had 51 PSI all around when I picked it up, way high.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good discussion here.

As a side note, for anyone with an early build 2019 with an abnormally harsh ride, a software update is available:

SSM 47757 - 2019 F-150 Raptor - Harsh/Bumpy Ride - Built On Or Before 15-Nov-2018
Some 2019 F-150 Raptor vehicles built on or before 15-Nov-2018 may exhibit a harsh or bumpy ride during all driving conditions. To resolve this concern, reprogram the vehicle dynamics control module (VDM) using the latest software version of the appropriate Ford diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 18B008 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.