Raptor f150 vs wrangler JLU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 7k miles my JKU main seal went, puking oil all over my driveway. After 3 weeks at the dealer, I got it back. Two weeks later it dropped a driveshaft because the pinion bolts sheared because the tech didn’t torque the nuts (not motor related though). At around 13k miles it left me stranded in the desert, starter failed. Then around 20k it started to tick, rocker arm failure.

I’m an attorney and did all of the typical strong letters and threats of litigation to FCA and the dealer, both told me to pound sand. At the end of the day I just traded it in because litigating a case personally on the side just wasn’t worth it compared to what I stood to recover. After that I swore no more FCA products for me, so I returned to Ford.
#shouldofboughtaJk

What year was it?

skidmarcx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that the Raptor will crawl better than you’d think, BUT it’s too damn big for most trails that the Jeep could walk over, keeping the Jeep and doing the axle swap with supporting mods would be the better route if you’re a crawler, if you travel on easy-moderate trails that aren’t too narrow than you can entertain the Raptor option. I work in the auto repair sector and both vehicles are prone to mechanical issues in some form or another, so pick your poison

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only Stellantis product I would consider is the 392 Wrangler. it will also be a future collectible down the road due to its limited production numbers.

OP
OP
J

joaquim

Reaction score
Forgive my Jeep knowledge, but Isn't there a Wrangler with a big V8 from factory? Why go through swapping an engine if they offer it from the factory?
There’s a few key reasons not to get the 392, 1. It’s over priced 2. I already have a jeep 3. For the price of buying it I can get a minimally loaded jeep and put bigger axles and a bigger engine for cheaper (have heard some issues about that kind of power on stock axles)

OP
OP
J

joaquim

Reaction score
I can tell you that the Raptor will crawl better than you’d think, BUT it’s too damn big for most trails that the Jeep could walk over, keeping the Jeep and doing the axle swap with supporting mods would be the better route if you’re a crawler, if you travel on easy-moderate trails that aren’t too narrow than you can entertain the Raptor option. I work in the auto repair sector and both vehicles are prone to mechanical issues in some form or another, so pick your poison
What’ve you heard about the TRX compared to the raptor?

OP
OP
J

joaquim

Reaction score
At 7k miles my JKU main seal went, puking oil all over my driveway. After 3 weeks at the dealer, I got it back. Two weeks later it dropped a driveshaft because the pinion bolts sheared because the tech didn’t torque the nuts (not motor related though). At around 13k miles it left me stranded in the desert, starter failed. Then around 20k it started to tick, rocker arm failure.

I’m an attorney and did all of the typical strong letters and threats of litigation to FCA and the dealer, both told me to pound sand. At the end of the day I just traded it in because litigating a case personally on the side just wasn’t worth it compared to what I stood to recover. After that I swore no more FCA products for me, so I returned to Ford.
Yeah I’ve got 50k miles on my 3.6 with no issues beyond bad sensors so far - crossing my fingers - the reliability of the raptor turbos in a dusty climate just scares me a bit