Raptor f150 vs wrangler JLU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joaquim

Reaction score
Alright so I’m considering upgrading my wrangler with dynatrac d60/80 combo + swapping to a V8 along with all the suspension, steering, drivetrain, and other modifications required to properly run these upgrades. I understand that a jeep and a raptor f150 fulfill different roles… but how much rock crawling / off-roading can you really do with a raptor compared to a jeep? I get that it shreds dunes with its independent front suspension… but that twin turbo v6 really scares me - i feel like it wouldn’t be as reliable as a naturally aspirated engine? But what makes me trend towards the raptor is that it is much safer on the highway due to its independent front suspension… and it’s size and construction make it much safer for passengers. Also a few pictures of some different off-road builds would be appreciated!

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A jeep will always beat a raptor at crawling, especially with upgrades. With that said, the Raptor did everything I wanted to do at Moab to enjoy it and have a great time.

So far I’ve had 1,000% more problems with my JKU 3.6 pentastar than the 3.5eb, and the power output isn’t even comparable obviously.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor is wide and long compared to a Jeep. If you want to do serious crawling the Raptor is the wrong tool. Less intense stuff is great so long as you don't mind pinstripes. Stock Raptor will be 10x as reliable as a modded Jeep and 10x safer on the road.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't really compare the two...

I traded my Hard Rock Rubicon JKU for my new Gen3 Raptor.
Completely different vehicles.

If I still lived in WA State....I would have gotten a new JLU Rubicon instead of a monstrous Raptor that would not fit in the tight and narrow WA trails.

You have to match your vehicle to the intended use.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my Jeep knowledge, but Isn't there a Wrangler with a big V8 from factory? Why go through swapping an engine if they offer it from the factory?
It's a new thing...and costs big bucks!!
Starts at $80k and doesn't have anywhere near the tech the Raptor has...

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a new thing...and costs big bucks!!
Starts at $80k and doesn't have anywhere near the tech the Raptor has...
There are several dealers offering discount and if the OP is serious about the swap upgrading to the 392 plus other goodies from factory makes more sense.
Comparison to a Raptor …I don’t see it.

CINISI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far I’ve had 1,000% more problems with my JKU 3.6 pentastar than the 3.5eb, and the power output isn’t even comparable obviously.
At 52k miles I’ve had a radiator replaced under warranty. Other than that it’s been solid. I can’t say I read of many Pentastar engine issues.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At 52k miles I’ve had a radiator replaced under warranty. Other than that it’s been solid. I can’t say I read of many Pentastar engine issues.

At 7k miles my JKU main seal went, puking oil all over my driveway. After 3 weeks at the dealer, I got it back. Two weeks later it dropped a driveshaft because the pinion bolts sheared because the tech didn’t torque the nuts (not motor related though). At around 13k miles it left me stranded in the desert, starter failed. Then around 20k it started to tick, rocker arm failure.

I’m an attorney and did all of the typical strong letters and threats of litigation to FCA and the dealer, both told me to pound sand. At the end of the day I just traded it in because litigating a case personally on the side just wasn’t worth it compared to what I stood to recover. After that I swore no more FCA products for me, so I returned to Ford.

Stojanowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually about to hop into a Gladiator Mojave until my super duty is built. Have a feeling I might enjoy it. Hoping the 23 offers the plug in hybrid and Xtreme recon package for the gladiator