Raptor - DINO or BIRD OF PREY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK all, I have to get my truck registered tomorrow and I have a couple cool plate names picked out. Problem is, some are DINO related and others BIRD related... SO WHICH IS THE RAPTOR???

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor = Bird of Prey.

Now with that said, I would pick which ever name you like the most.

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I am leaning toward the bird... as I hate to think the truck is a Dino LOL... but I also want what makes sense, not only what sounds good. Once I get more feedback I will post up my favorites tomorrow and see which gets the most hits!... thanks!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea I am leaning toward the bird... as I hate to think the truck is a Dino LOL... but I also want what makes sense, not only what sounds good. Once I get more feedback I will post up my favorites tomorrow and see which gets the most hits!... thanks!

I've thought about this a couple of minutes...people are probably going to accociate Raptor with a Dino more than a Bird of Prey.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think "Raptor" was a part of worldwide vocabulary until Jurassic Park came out. Sure it was used by some product makers (e.g. Yamaha) but it wasn't until the Michael Crichton book and movie came out that "Raptor" became popular...

album-jurassic-park-original-motion-picture-soundtrack.jpg

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think "Raptor" was a part of worldwide vocabulary until Jurassic Park came out. Sure it was used by some product makers (e.g. Yamaha) but it wasn't until the Michael Crichton book and movie came out that "Raptor" became popular...

album-jurassic-park-original-motion-picture-soundtrack.jpg

This is my point exactly! By definition, Raptor is a bird of prey... the slang was coined after Jurassic park and land of the lost... thus I am leaning toward the birds as well... Raptor (birds) hunt and kill their prey, they have keep hunting skills.... and that sounds like what our trucks are. But as stated above, the average person today may very well think the dino route as it is most popular! I am trying to come up with a name that means both, like carnvor (7 letters)

OP
OP
SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so google Raptor and 9 out of 10 sites list it as Birds of Prey... matter of fact, most will state the DINO version is all wrong, due to Hollywood. The actual DINO version of the Raptor is about the size of a chicken and pretty stupid it seems... not nearly what Hollywood made us think LOL... so after careful review, and all things true, the RAPTOR is indeed a bird of prey and NOT the Dino unless you like chicken sized dumb animals LOL... ok all joking aside, it appears bird of prey is much better suited unless you are indeed into DINO's..... !!

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to say Bird related...as the Raptor is pretty bad ass..

I would LIKE to say the Raptor in the MOVIE was bad ass...but when i saw fossils of the raptor, i was rather disappointed! the raptor is actually as small as a child...7 to 10 years of age child (if that!). They are or presume to be very intelligent, but they were no where near the size and threat as what was seen in the movie. but here is a good read on the little guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor

those Raptors (bird of prey) are no joke, their descriptions to me fit the Raptor much better, with descriptions like: "Their talons and beaks tend to be relatively large, powerful and adapted for tearing and/or piercing flesh" and of course this one: "The term "raptor" is derived from the Latin word "rapere" (meaning to seize or take by force)"

and now pics of the two to compare lol

This Golden Eagle (in the Raptor group) has claws that will DWARF the real dino raptor's claws and its wingspan is equivalent to its real height...it not more!

dave_bonta-golden-eagle.preview.jpg

golden-eagle-mike-and-trish.jpg

pics of the dino raptors in comparison to a human body:

800px-Vraptor-scale.svg.png

an image on the raptor in estimated true form (head)

velociraptorEW2.jpg

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like what SLB stated...the Dino Raptor is nothing in comparison to a bald eagle or a Golden Eagle..but the MOVIE Raptor...No Joke lol

I think it can be official right here with actual proof..and who would want their truck to be named after a fairy tail...or an actual Iconic Bad Ass Bird of prey! LOL