Raptor carbon fiber frame swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who has thoughts about the commercial viability of a $25k (retail) all carbon fiber frame swap for Raptors or F150s, especially for off-road racing? 900-1000 lbs less weight than the stock frame and 5x-8x stronger. My tech team has the capability and expertise. I welcome your thoughts in an email to [email protected].
I think it's sexy as hell, but could never swing $25K for it. I'd be surprised to see many takers, but would wish you well in the endeavor! That'd be extremely cool to see.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! That would be awesome! Just don't know how many could afford it without some sponsorship. Sounds feasible for some racing teams but for the regular drivers as myself sort of high for what we do with our vehicles. I too wish you luck with your endeavor. I believe there are people out there that will take you up on the deal. Is that installed with all the swap-over complete?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Who's running a carbon fiber frame at BaJa 1000?
Even the Raptor R couldn't keep a carbon fiber driveshaft from shattering.
They tried several revision, had to go back to aluminum.

Or did you mean all body panels, cab and doors?

Carbon fiber is strong but doesn't like shock, such as jumping a 6,000 lbs. truck out on dessert trails doing 100 mph.

How would you reinforce the suspension connecting points, motor mounts, tranny mount, cab mounts, bed mounts.....etc....?
I see a lot of steel being imbedded through out the whole frame and your weight estimate is not going to be what you think.

Last edited:

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I would love to have a complete body made of carbon fiber with just clear coat so it would be exposed.

no, you wouldn't.

Trust me, I dropped more than 2.5x what fiberglass costs on carbon fiber fenders and bedsides.

Guess how long they held up? 500 dirt miles.

All of it is being taken off and scrapped now. After 3000 dirt miles, I literally had HOLES in it. CF just does not have the impact resistance to hold up to desert truck things.

As for a carbon fiber frame, I have ZERO faith that it would hold up. If you can tear the lower pivots off the steel frame on a hard full stuff hit, the carbon fiber will explode at the suspension mounting points on the first set of whoops. I don't believe that CF has the sheer strength required to hold up. ( especially when it is easily compromised by impacts)

D

Deleted member 17706

no, you wouldn't.

Trust me, I dropped more than 2.5x what fiberglass costs on carbon fiber fenders and bedsides.

Guess how long they held up? 500 dirt miles.

All of it is being taken off and scrapped now. After 3000 dirt miles, I literally had HOLES in it. CF just does not have the impact resistance to hold up to desert truck things.

As for a carbon fiber frame, I have ZERO faith that it would hold up. If you can tear the lower pivots off the steel frame on a hard full stuff hit, the carbon fiber will explode at the suspension mounting points on the first set of whoops. I don't believe that CF has the sheer strength required to hold up. ( especially when it is easily compromised by impacts)

I agree 100%. Imagine if you were to get into a car wreck with a carbon fiber frame. If the impact was serious, the damage could be catastrophic. Carbon fiber cannot absorb that kind of energy.

LOL I remember when the carbon fiber fenders had just came out. There was a ton of hype!