GEN 2 Raptor based Ford Expedition (e.g. Raptor SUV)

Would you like to buy Raptor based Ford Expedition

• Yes

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pavel

Reaction score
Hello,

I made some research and found out that there is no much information on that topic…

Ford Raptor seems to be a very successful vehicle but to my knowledge it doesn’t have SUV version. The closest one can get at this time is ‘affordable’ FX4 package for the latest Expedition generation or presumably very expensive custom build from boutique tuning shop (like hennessey performance) or build up one in the garage. The question is if anybody here have information about Ford’s plans in this direction or point me to some trustworthy resource like MacRumors that can shed some light/give insight.

Any speculation and thoughts on this topic are also very welcome!

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you need a third row? Expedition's are IRS, not a live axle like the Raptor.
Might be more cost effective to stretch a Raptor.

Last edited:

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I made some research and found out that there is no much information on that topic…

Ford Raptor seems to be a very successful vehicle but to my knowledge it doesn’t have SUV version. The closest one can get at this time is ‘affordable’ FX4 package for the latest Expedition generation or presumably very expensive custom build from boutique tuning shop (like hennessey performance) or build up one in the garage. The question is if anybody here have information about Ford’s plans in this direction or point me to some trustworthy resource like MacRumors that can shed some light/give insight.

Any speculation and thoughts on this topic are also very welcome!

Um, what?

Yes, the F150 and Expedition share the same chassis, but they are distinctly different vehicles with different purposes. No one (and I mean no one) buys an Expedition to off-road in. Sure, there are plenty of pavement princess Raptors, but the purpose of the truck is to off-road. The Expedition is a glorified soccer mom van. Ford will sell off-road ready packages for the Expedition, but it's merely a half-hearted attempt to augment the vehicle's primary purpose.

I don't doubt Ford Performance will eventually offer an ST trim on the Expedition or something similar to what they're doing with next year's Explorer, but don't hold your breath on it being Raptorized.

Your best bet is to grab an FX4 and slap an aftermarket Raptor grill on the front.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I owned an expedition back in 1998. At that time, SVT was throwing around the idea of a SVT Lightning version of the Expedition.

I would see that as being a better option then a Raptor version. Way too big to do any off roading. But a 13 second SUV of that size, would be cool.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
your best bet is probably to buy a pickup, then buy a front end collision expedition and have a talented shop do the conversion.

cabo customs did the braptor, but what you are talking about would be slightly more difficult.

I'd be searching for a pickup that has as few options as possible, so wiring doesn't turn into a complete nightmare.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why all the hate. 90%+ of people only buy the Raptor because it looks cool. Put a factory lift, flared fenders, and oversized tires on the Expedition and it would sell well. Dealers would love it even more because it gives them another opportunity to charge a $20k adjustment.

As for offroad credibility, let's face it, very very very few Raptor owners do anything in their Raptor that couldn't be done in an FX4. Shit, my cousin took his rental XLT on Hell's Revenge, albeit with a fair amount of underside scraping, but hey, it's a rental.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why all the hate. 90%+ of people only buy the Raptor because it looks cool. Put a factory lift, flared fenders, and oversized tires on the Expedition and it would sell well. Dealers would love it even more because it gives them another opportunity to charge a $20k adjustment.

As for offroad credibility, let's face it, very very very few Raptor owners do anything in their Raptor that couldn't be done in an FX4. Shit, my cousin took his rental XLT on Hell's Revenge, albeit with a fair amount of underside scraping, but hey, it's a rental.

Sure, but 90%+ of people who buy Mustangs will never race them on a track. So does that mean Ford should start offering a Mustang version of the Fusion?

If OP is looking for a truly off-road capable SUV, his best bet is to hold out for the 202x Bronco (whenever Ford gets around to announcing something more official than a photo of some boots and a backpack in the woods). But the jury's still out on what type of vehicle the new Bronco will really be.

One's thing's for certain though: The truck OP wants (Expedition + Raptor) is a pipe dream.

OP
OP
Pavel

Pavel

Reaction score
I lean to agree with @jaz13 . There are millions of dads around who have 1..3 kids + 1..2 dogs and + hundreds of visiting relatives/friends and right now they are imprisoned in their ugly vans. I bet a good % of wealthier dads will be happy to spend extra buck on zombie apocalypse ride (and I feel that I'm about to join this population group). There is Rivian with its R1S on the horizon that would offer electric 3 row SUV, but it will be incredibly expensive niche product. To my knowledge the only automaker that is really close to deliver the dream car to masses on a budget today is Ford.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Bronco would make sense, the expedition? Not so much. At some point even the "sticker packaged" vehicles need to be a LITTLE realistic about the intent vs. actual use of what they're marketing. Do you really think ANYONE would take an Expedition off baja dunes? 7/8 passenger 3 row big boy SUV w/ the storage cubbies popping open & everything getting scraped up outside, they'd have to do a good bit of modification to have it look the part while playing the part even a little bit. Curb weights similar, but there's alot more stuff hanging lower you'd have to worry about vs. starting w/ an F150 that already has more R&D put into it from the start in terms of off-roading potential. The expedition shares some bones w/ the trucks but not the same.

Again - Bronco makes more sense to me......alot of sense $$$$$$$$