Raptor Assault Worthwhile for Experienced Off-roaders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I wouldn’t go if that is the only reason you went. Make a trip out of it and do other things. I went the day before going on a 3 day off-road Pony Express run from Toole to Carson City then drove up to Yellowstone.

I didn’t think the class was that spectacular but considering I was already there, yeah sure do it. I did learn that I didn’t care much for new trail control feature crawling up a rocky hill. I felt in better control using left foot braking. The baja course and jump are kinda a joke. Out on the trails they keep you close to each others dust so you really don’t go that fast. The 30 degree angle lean was a tad nerve racking and I wouldn’t get at that angle out on a trail. That is a grippy asphalt in a controlled environment.

Like I said, I wouldn’t go just for it unless you just want to get away and spend some money otherwise make it part of a vacation or long weekend getaway

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I have a "little bit" of offroad experience.

My $.02?

Any time you can get instructor-led training, in-person, where you learn something is worth it.

No, it isn't an "advanced" class. ( I've actually been asking that they do a separate "advanced" course for 3 years now)

BUT, you will get to interact with John Williams III, who is a VERY experienced offroad driver. ( John races for BFG, Owns a shop, helps Ford with Raptor Development and is a good dude.)

I learned a lot from John by just asking questions about "why" certain things are the way they are on Raptors.

There is also a TON of fun BLM land to explore if you are driving there with your truck and stay a few extra days.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go if that is the only reason you went. Make a trip out of it and do other things. I went the day before going on a 3 day off-road Pony Express run from Toole to Carson City then drove up to Yellowstone.

I didn’t think the class was that spectacular but considering I was already there, yeah sure do it. I did learn that I didn’t care much for new trail control feature crawling up a rocky hill. I felt in better control using left foot braking. The baja course and jump are kinda a joke. Out on the trails they keep you close to each others dust so you really don’t go that fast. The 30 degree angle lean was a tad nerve racking and I wouldn’t get at that angle out on a trail. That is a grippy asphalt in a controlled environment.

Like I said, I wouldn’t go just for it unless you just want to get away and spend some money otherwise make it part of a vacation or long weekend getaway

Yes! Interesting you brought up the trail control feature. Me as well as the gentleman I was teamed up with agreed. We didn't end up using trail control at all once experimenting the different methods.

All in all it was a good experience. Especially if you back it up with the track day in the GT350. Fantastic!

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it is a weekend not spent at home, driving some one else's truck. Think of it more as entertainment than education. Like going to a movie in another city.

I am a "car guy" and was a noob at off road.....i learned something and had fun.....worth it for me to be entertained for a weekend for $600 flight and hotel.

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raptor Assault is what you make of it. I have a fair amount of off-road experience in trucks and a lot more on ATVs, and I enjoyed the course and getting to interact with the instructors and other Raptor owners.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going in May. Funny how much many of the comments sound like they could be about shooting classes I've taken. Even if you're pretty good, you typically will pick up a few tips you didn't know before, or find you have 1 or 2 bad habits you didn't know about, you get to pick the trainers brain a little bit, and you have fun.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I forgot to mention my favorite story from RA...

You'll most likely be told the story about "the guy that rolled his own raptor doing donuts" to illustrate why you aren't allowed to do donuts.

I'm not going to spoil the story, BUT hilariously, a year or so after attending RA, I actually met "the guy" while dropping my truck off to have upgrades done.

to quote myself, " holy shit, you're HIM."

him - "huh?"

me- " you're the guy that they tell the story about at Raptor Assault!"

him (defeated) - " yeah. that's me. I have a new raptor now."

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You'll most likely be told the story about "the guy that rolled his own raptor doing donuts" to illustrate why you aren't allowed to do donuts.

I'm not going to spoil the story, BUT hilariously, a year or so after attending RA, I actually met "the guy" while dropping my truck off to have upgrades done.

him - "huh?"

:happy175: Again similar to shooting. At a match a few months after an advanced shooting class, "Oh, you're the guy that shot himself in the leg doing a fast draw!!"

I always like to learn from other's mistakes whenever possible! It's much less
expensive/painful.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score

him - "huh?"

i started the 360 club....... learned my lesson

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we all glossed over the most important part. Getting to experience the class with your dad would be worth the trip for me. As we all grow older, sharing the same hobbies with your dad will only create lasting memories. I went a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.