Raptor Assault without Torsen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BryBurger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hope the non-torsen move has more to do with actual improvements or equal performance and NOT just a cost cutting factor. Time will tell since I have not heard actual offroading complaints... just complaints of no Torsen. I originally ordered my rig with it until I was rolled over to a '23.

Also are current Raptor Assault trucks '23s? I plan on going in fall and curious if they may have Torsen. I def plan to grill whomever will listen there about the Ford Torsen decision.

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, I hope it was a planned improvement and not a cost-cutting or supply chain issue.

I’m sure the 2024’s will have heated steering wheels and Torsen diff…

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hope the non-torsen move has more to do with actual improvements or equal performance and NOT just a cost cutting factor. Time will tell since I have not heard actual offroading complaints... just complaints of no Torsen. I originally ordered my rig with it until I was rolled over to a '23.

Also are current Raptor Assault trucks '23s? I plan on going in fall and curious if they may have Torsen. I def plan to grill whomever will listen there about the Ford Torsen decision.
I attended RA end of March and talked to several instructors and they had no idea what I was talking about regarding torsen deletion. I think Torsen was deleted to save money otherwise there would have been some sort of written explanation why it was deleted and what replaced it.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, that’s opposite my experience when I did the Bronco Off Rodeo in 2021. The instructors there were Ford Performance employees. The instructor for my group actually had spent some time at Tooele. He was fantastic and knew all about off road driving. It was a great experience that I was hoping to duplicate at a Raptor Assault in the near future. Reviews of RA all seem very positive.
Same,my instructor was a professional driver hire by ford.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From my personal experience back in 18' the instructors were mostly car guys who didn't actually know a whole lot about the Raptor or offroading in general. Again personal experience but I would think they probably wouldn't notice. Personally I have not noticed much of a difference in my 23' although not a whole lot of offroad miles yet.
When I was there in '20 the instructors were legit offroad racing guys.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
The torsen is gonna make the biggest difference on slick surfaces where all 4 tires maintain contact, think snowy and rainy roads. If a front wheel lifts the torsen will act like an open diff.
I believe that's when you can put your left foot lightly on the brake to get the other wheel to engage with the Torsen front differential.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've "heard" there will be an electronic subsitute. If they are doing anything like Toyota did back when I had FJs and 4runners (ATRAC?) the wheel sensors read wheel spin, apply the brake on THAT wheel just enough, and bingo its "like" a limited slip. Wheel in the air or not does not matter. If that IS the case, it will be better for people in the rocks, maybe not as good for street driving. I don't know how far the tech has come. If they did nothing... well, insert whatever profanities you feel appropriate.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I've "heard" there will be an electronic subsitute. If they are doing anything like Toyota did back when I had FJs and 4runners (ATRAC?) the wheel sensors read wheel spin, apply the brake on THAT wheel just enough, and bingo its "like" a limited slip. Wheel in the air or not does not matter. If that IS the case, it will be better for people in the rocks, maybe not as good for street driving. I don't know how far the tech has come. If they did nothing... well, insert whatever profanities you feel appropriate.
Doesn’t the torsen front differential work the same way?

Left foot applying enough brake pressure to force engagement of the tire not spinning whether or not one of the tires is on the ground.

At least that's my understanding from watching YouTube channel explaining it whilst demonstrating it.