Raptor Assault without Torsen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've "heard" there will be an electronic subsitute. If they are doing anything like Toyota did back when I had FJs and 4runners (ATRAC?) the wheel sensors read wheel spin, apply the brake on THAT wheel just enough, and bingo its "like" a limited slip. Wheel in the air or not does not matter. If that IS the case, it will be better for people in the rocks, maybe not as good for street driving. I don't know how far the tech has come. If they did nothing... well, insert whatever profanities you feel appropriate.
That’s what they did for the R and 23+ Raptors. It should be better than a torsen for most off road situations. Where the torsen really shines is slippery roads, snow, and gravel/rally type driving. Torsen does not work great when a tire is in the air.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn’t the torsen front differential work the same way?

Left foot applying enough brake pressure to force engagement of the tire not spinning whether or not one of the tires is on the ground.

At least that's my understanding from watching YouTube channel explaining it whilst demonstrating it.
Kinda but not that efficiently. When you tap the brake it’ll transfer some torque from the spinning wheel in the air to the wheel with traction, but you’re also applying the brakes to that one too making it less effective. That method may help to get you unstuck, but the electronic system will selectively apply brake just to the spinning wheel in the air with no traction.