Raptor Assault - Detailed Course Overview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am flying into the local airport and transportation in Tooele is not available. Is there anyone going to this class that can pick us up at airport? I'll buy the drinks!

You're flying into Tooele? If so, heck you could probably walk to UMC from there! It's basically across the street. Not sure how you're planning to get to and from the hotel though. It's probably simpler to fly to SLC and rent a car. SLC is only 30 minutes away by car.

Redd7120

Reaction score
You're flying into Tooele? If so, heck you could probably walk to UMC from there! It's basically across the street. Not sure how you're planning to get to and from the hotel though. It's probably simpler to fly to SLC and rent a car. SLC is only 30 minutes away by car.

No rental cars at local airport or Salt Lake. I guess there is a big event going on this weekend. There is a taxi service but it doesn't have good reviews. The hotel doesn't have a shuttle service. I emailed Misti at FPR she said Uber isn't reliable either.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rental cars at local airport or Salt Lake. I guess there is a big event going on this weekend. There is a taxi service but it doesn't have good reviews. The hotel doesn't have a shuttle service. I emailed Misti at FPR she said Uber isn't reliable either.

Wow. I'm surprised there's no cars available anywhere. It's a pretty rural area, so I'm not surprised that Uber and taxi service are unreliable.

I bet if you can get yourself to the reception dinner you'll meet another attendee who is willing to help you get around. I was just there and would have helped someone in a similar situation, and I'm sure others in attendance would have been happy to help also. Where are you staying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hi guys. New member here. Placed an order for '18 Screw. 3 weeks ago. Great read. Thanks for all info. Quick question: Does anybody know what light bar/bull bar is installed on the RA trucks? I digg the minimalistic look and some protection. Seems like the installation is also fairly easy. (I did read through all the posts and searched forum and google for the answer. Sorry if I missed it.)

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's where I stayed along with at least a few others from my class. It's only 10-15 minutes away. You shouldn't have too much trouble hitching a ride with another attendee, particularly if there's drinks on offer. I'd suggest you find your way to UMC by whatever means possible and figure it out from there.

Redd7120

Reaction score
Wow. I'm surprised there's no cars available anywhere. It's a pretty rural area, so I'm not surprised that Uber and taxi service are unreliable.

I bet if you can get yourself to the reception dinner you'll meet another attendee who is willing to help you get around. I was just there and would have helped someone in a similar situation, and I'm sure others in attendance would have been happy to help also. Where are you staying?

Comfort inn. North highway 36

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you waited until to the last minute to look for a car. But Avis still has cars, just more pricey now.

Redd7120

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you waited until to the last minute to look for a car. But Avis still has cars, just more pricey now.

My dumb*** thought I booked a car! When I went to look for reservation I couldn't find it! LOL I booked hotel 2 months ago.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I just got back from Raptor Assault. Overall I really enjoyed the course.

The 30 degree lean was of course the highlight, and in general the rock crawling portions were engaging. In particular, I really learned just how much clearance the truck (in Supercrew form) truly has, and it made me really want to push my Supercab. I was a bit disappointed at the amount of time allotted (and speed obtained) for the Baja portion, but can't complain. Just know the stock truck can handle much higher speeds than you're allowed to go there (confirmed by both my experience and others).
I was impressed with the condition of the trucks, despite 16,000 mile of abuse. I have been impressed with the stock tires on my truck after all the abuse I've put them through, but seeing the ones on the RA vehicles I thoroughly appreciated with just how well they hold up. The Jacob's head trail has lots of lose, sharp rock (the kind that eats up tires at speed) and with so many novice drivers commandeering trucks they don't own, you know the tires are taking more punishment than they ought to. I will note our truck's A/C and front camera were malfunctioning. One truck did get a CEL, but was swapped out in less than 10 minutes, if even 5.
As far as instruction goes, I got the impression only one of the four instructors really had any legitimate off-road experience, or at least understood exactly what the truck was doing in each different mode. Most of my questions went over the heads of the instructors, with the except of John who agreed with my observations about how the truck was set up and ran. If you want to ask me questions on this, feel free, but I won't go into detail here. Just note that John had some of the same reservations about drive modes/drivetrain setups commonly thrown around by Gen 1 owners, but after talking to Foutz he came to the conclusion I did, which is that the modes really do put you into the best setup for the terrain you will be dealing with, if speed and control is your goal. The only thing I would change is locking the rear for Baja mode for extra slide, provided you are able to throttle steer, and the terrain warrants it. Or, in cases where you are doing very tight turns, Baja 2H can be appropriate. As John noted, few drivers can steer using the pedals as opposed to the steering wheel, so Baja unlocked will be best for the vast majority of drivers. You can still certainly break loose the back end if need be.

If you'd like to see my media from the event, check out this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ER0roirUfwH1wrm1