Raptor and its future (EV Raptor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Playing a little bit of devil's advocate here, Toyota's statement regarding the viability of going full EV by 2035 is assuming several constants about the current US transportation system remain unchanged. Primarily, that people move about with the same frequency and that every adult has a vehicle. Both of those are things that could change, or be forced to change, in the future.

As far as the frequency that people move, many jobs now allow you to work from home. Additionally, there is a growing delivery market for just about any product, food or otherwise, that you may want. A car used to be a necessity to live in suburban areas, it is much less so today.

Given the above, you still need a vehicle if you have job that you can't do from home, or just to leave the house. Well, not necessarily with the growing Uber/Lyft market. If self driving cars become a reality, then renting a vehicle, or paying by the trip makes even more sense. Looking at the cost of owning a vehicle, when you factor in car payment, insurance, and maintenance, how many Uber rides per month is the break even point?

Given those two factors, it's possible that we could end up with less vehicles on the road, rather than more. If not less vehicles on the road, less vehicles overall since we wouldn't need as many vehicles sitting in driveways ready to use. That could put a bit less burden on the charging infrastructure and electric grid.

Again, not saying I'm in favor of this (I'm not), just pointing out that there is a lot of different trends going on at the same time that interact with each other, makings predictions more or less likely. Mostly, I'm just saying that any ambitious goal that is 10 years out or more often meaningless, particularly when stated by a company, who's primary goal will always be profit above all else. The only thing GM can really say about 2035 is that they will be profitable, or they will no longer exist.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O wow you're such a genius to decode my post to understand that I was looking for a "poser mall crawler" even though I straight up said it. But whatever people like you are dime a dozen. Why can't I buy a raptor for its looks? Do people buy Ferraris, Bugatti's, Lamborghini's to race them on tracks? This is would be an exotic truck. And no way am I risk damaging it by using it to its capabilities. I might take it off-roading or somewhere that I know, there will be minimal damage to the body if things go south.

It makes total sense for me to look at the raptor R, which looks way better than an F150, and which will potentially have a supercharged V8 delivering awesome sound.

And I'm not looking at the Raptor to find something to suit my needs. it's to satisfy my wants. A base F150 Crewcab with 6.5ft would fulfill my needs too, but I'm not basing my purchases on needs. I'm mixing in my wants.

Please post pictures of your new $120+K truck doing stunts and dessert running and jumping of some sweet dunes. Well actually I don't give a ****. If that's what you enjoy that's good for you man, and more power to you for using it for more than mall crawling.
An exotic truck… now I have heard it all
1D857513-9066-4809-8167-EF54B6FECE39.gif

Squrtcap

Reaction score
Ford is dumbfounded on truck engines. Eco boost V6 is a terrible engine. I have never liked supercharged or turbocharged engines.
A good 5.0 V8 in any Ford truck, beats the others in every way.
I have been a V8 Ford fan for 6 decades. And when fuel injectors replaced carburetors, the technology reached a high point. My 1998 F250 LD SC never fails to deliver on milage, towing and cargo.
The 5.5 foot bed is a disaster, the 6.5 foot is the sweet spot.
Come on Ford, you know what we old timers like.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford is dumbfounded on truck engines. Eco boost V6 is a terrible engine. I have never liked supercharged or turbocharged engines.
I have been a V8 Ford fan for 6 decades. And when fuel injectors replaced carburetors, the technology reached a high point. My 1998 F250 LD SC never fails to deliver on milage, towing and cargo.
Ford knows you old timers don’t have a clue what you are talking about so they don’t bother listening lol

the 5.0 beats the others in every way huh…. Hahahahaha

Last edited:

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well then it's a good thing you can still buy this truck. Ford still makes NA V8 6.5 bed trucks in 1/2 ton all the way up.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Care to name a few of those? Horsepower, torque, weight, fuel economy, etc? I'm trying to think of a single metric the 5.0 beats the 3.5 high output (apparently H.O. is a bad word) in?

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think 5.0, I think Fox Body! That was the 5.0’s top days and it worked. Those 5.0’s back in the day just worked and were cheap.

A naturally aspirated 5L motor in a truck is just a little small and short on low end TQ.