raptor 5.4 swap to LS or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carydean

Reaction score
I put an LS6 in my 2012 Jeep JKU. Awesome conversion, but cost me 25,000 smackers (13,500 for the junker engine and L1680 tranny with 13k miles alone). Nothing in Moab could stop it with 4:88 gears, lockers front & back. It was a bitch to get in and set up correctly, but man, was it awesome.

Not sure I would taint a Raptor with such Hullabaloo. Just go find an old blown Ford big block 427.

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unlike the 6.2, which also was not designed for forced induction, I am confident in the 7.3 lasting a long time with moderate levels of forced induction (~700hp) assuming the tune is sound.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5l Cummins v8 would be cool
No, those are problem children.

The 2.8L Cummins would be super underpowered IMO for the Raptor but would be the much more reliable engine.

Also, I don't understand why OP wouldn't just find a Junkyard 6.2L or if he wanted to be fancy a crate 7.3L gasser. 6.2L for sure fits, the 7.3 probably fits.

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, those are problem children.

The 2.8L Cummins would be super underpowered IMO for the Raptor but would be the much more reliable engine.

Also, I don't understand why OP wouldn't just find a Junkyard 6.2L or if he wanted to be fancy a crate 7.3L gasser. 6.2L for sure fits, the 7.3 probably fits.
I haven't searched tons on em but I haven't seen/heard of wide spread problems with them either. My brother in law has one and said he's much happier with it now that it has a tune. Even though there would be a 200lb weight gain with this motor the power and economy of the midsize diesel would be sweet.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't searched tons on em but I haven't seen/heard of wide spread problems with them either. My brother in law has one and said he's much happier with it now that it has a tune. Even though there would be a 200lb weight gain with this motor the power and economy of the midsize diesel would be sweet.

I remember reading they had a ton of problems and a lack of support. Basically any problem with them put them out of commission due to lack of dealership support, mechanic knowledge and supply chain issues. I had a coworker who bought one of those Nissans with the Cummins and he traded for F250 like 4 months later because he hated it so much. Anecdotal, I know but still.