GEN 1 Random "Trailer Disconnected" Message when towing a specific trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When towing my car hauler my truck likes to ding and give me the "Trailer Disconnected" message. During that time (which usually lasts a few seconds until it says "Trailer Connected") the brakes and lights continue to function as normal. My other trailer does NOT do this. My car hauler also does this on a different truck. That all makes me say that this is the trailer, not the truck. It's quite maddening to have the truck continually ding at me every couple minutes on a road trip.

That being said, how does the truck "know" the trailer is disconnected or not? That knowledge will help me trace the issue here. I suspect it's some sort of grounding situation on the trailer.

Thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it senses signal from the 7 pin plug. most likely it will be a wire connection somewhere on the trailer. check the pins to make sure they arent loose

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My car hauler does the same thing... Need to replace my wiring as I have a short somewhere... Keeps blowing a fuse on my F-350 but almost all the lights work normally. My left tail light works intermittently. I've also found the pins inside the plug get bent from time to time. Easy to bend them back into place with a straight slot screw driver or knife in a pinch. Good luck with yours.

divedeep1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same on my old trailer. It was the trailer end that over time had worn a little at the plug. During hard turns or bumps along the road.... it would wiggle loose.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that when I 1st start the truck up. With no trailer. Been doing it for yrs. I dontvtow anything so I been blowing it off. But now curious how to fix it

moodster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the pins on the trailer connector and the pins in the truck receptacle.
Then put some di electric grease in there.