Random thoughts on newer trucks with "better" tech.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a post with some random thoughts I was having, and some back porch buddy discussion, since there's not a lot of new posts this week for gen 1's...

To keep up with consumer demand for trucks having more features and tech, becoming basically luxury trucks or family haulers that can go off road, with ever more demands for more power and towing capacity, it seems as though trucks have gotten away from what was in their original DNA. And I guess that is the nature of improvement... The government mandates fuel economy while choking emissions, they demand safety tests to be impeccable, while bubba want's 15,000lbs of towing capacity in his 1500, While Steve wants to be able to pull up on a location and plug all of his equipment into his truck and run his jobsite, while Debra wants to be able to fit 3 infant rear facing super travel customizable 5in1 car seats across the back with plenty of room for baby gear and have walmart bag holders built into the cab and have baby bottle warmers in every cup holder. Cindy wants airbags in the floor, Mark wants to be able to tuck 37's without modification... I would hate to be the manufacturer who has to build these machines to appease everyone. I guess I kind of understand why new trucks are having so many problems right out of the gate. Every vehicle has it's initial problems and quirks, but it has to be harder to maintain quality, these days, while trying to keep up to date and competitive.

But it still keeps me wishing that, without expanding government regulations for safety and pollution, manufactures could get back to creating a vehicle that is more bare bones and based on tried and true platforms for simplicity and reliability.
I was reading a post over in the gen3 forum's, about issues some trucks were having, and I take this quote "It happened when trying to switch from 2WD to 4WD while moving. CEL Wrench icon and Service 4x4 Soon came upon the dash, then all drive modes were no longer available via the dial, nor was I able to adjust shocks, steering, or exhaust via the steering, and none of the 4WD selection buttons would work either."
Good god, what have we built?! LOL. Those features have to be cool, but damn, do we need all of that?! lol, especially when it "explodes". Poor Bill trying to diagnose this crap in his driveway, just isn't happening anymore.

Vehicles that have sophisticated computers built in, with "network cables" for communication between a multitude of modules. Even our Gen1's cant escape this, but it's about as new of a truck as I am comfortable getting into any more. I am going to let people buy 100,000 dollar vehicles, I just can't bring myself to do it, I would much rather have overbuilt simplicity, that you just can't break. Unfortunately, it just doesn't exist anymore, and I get a little nostalgic about it...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You’re not wrong.

3.5TT is a good engine with a decent transmission and it’s truly amazing that you can get a solid 360-380 to the wheels on one end and still burn 87 if you have to on the other end. But then we start getting into that tech creep that you’re mentioning.

Aside from the giant center console, would it really be worse to have a transfer case lever like we used to have in the 20th century? You know, so that if we do a water crossing, we can still have 4wd? Asking for a friend. Literally, I’ve had Lucille in some 2 foot deep water a few times and not had issues.

And yeah, I like adaptive cruise, heated leather seats, wheel. Everything is throttle by wire and interconnected by a network and series of modules. I’m sure that’s great for emissions and a/f control and all, but yeah when all this stuff goes south, it’s a bear to troubleshoot, and expensive to repair.

An enterprising company like Superperformance or similar maker would be well served to create such a throwback truck and I’d bet it would perform admirably in comparison.

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re not wrong.

3.5TT is a good engine with a decent transmission and it’s truly amazing that you can get a solid 360-380 to the wheels on one end and still burn 87 if you have to on the other end. But then we start getting into that tech creep that you’re mentioning.

Aside from the giant center console, would it really be worse to have a transfer case lever like we used to have in the 20th century? You know, so that if we do a water crossing, we can still have 4wd? Asking for a friend. Literally, I’ve had Lucille in some 2 foot deep water a few times and not had issues.

And yeah, I like adaptive cruise, heated leather seats, wheel. Everything is throttle by wire and interconnected by a network and series of modules. I’m sure that’s great for emissions and a/f control and all, but yeah when all this stuff goes south, it’s a bear to troubleshoot, and expensive to repair.

An enterprising company like Superperformance or similar maker would be well served to create such a throwback truck and I’d bet it would perform admirably in comparison.
My 04 SCSB chevy 5.3 had a floor shifter, so did my 97 k1500... I loved that about them. I still get nostalgic and pissed off when I sold them when the market exploded. That money is gone now, and I wish I had my trucks back LOL.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
The future will keep moving forward with new and supposably better innovations, but it can be argued for ever whether they are truly better. Most things old seem to always come back in favor/style. Examples like bell bottoms, halter tops (my favorite) and Gen 1's (second favorite). High tech has become overwhelming, and you can't backyard mechanic 99% of it like the days you could change your own points and condenser and timing. In time most will have to conform to the ever-advancing technology but for me I plan on having my Gen 1 till the day I die, and yes at my age it will last that long.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a 2011 SCREW 4wd Raptor and a 2012 ecoboost 4wd SCREW. Both don't have a lot of "features" I miss. I'd like front & rear cameras, but aftermarket ones are available. A dash mounted Lowrance GPS is preferable to any Ford device that wants to monitor my driving or suggest where to shop at. There's countless available mods for these trucks so I have no incentive to step up to a later model with higher registration and sales costs. Also, I would never concern myself with chips, scratches, and dents either. Seems silly to invest thousands to update or "correct" the paint on it. My house needs it more than my trucks

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2011 SCREW 4wd Raptor and a 2012 ecoboost 4wd SCREW. Both don't have a lot of "features" I miss. I'd like front & rear cameras, but aftermarket ones are available. A dash mounted Lowrance GPS is preferable to any Ford device that wants to monitor my driving or suggest where to shop at. There's countless available mods for these trucks so I have no incentive to step up to a later model with higher registration and sales costs. Also, I would never concern myself with chips, scratches, and dents either. Seems silly to invest thousands to update or "correct" the paint on it. My house needs it more than my trucks
Lol every time I spend play money, I remember Texas summers’ coming around and my AC is 20 years old LOL… she’s still kicking, for now…

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
good point on the 360 cameras. I do like those.