Random Question/Opinion Requested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Previous '20 Gen 2 owner
Current '21 Gen 3 owner

I am not looking to inflame or start a this vs that by any means. I am curious: what do you all think winds up retaining their value better?

- 2021 Durango SRT Hellcat

or -

- 2021 Raptor 35

I get the Hellcat is a tad more on MSRP, just wondering overall value retainment considering this is the last/only year you can buy a Durango Hellcat.

Thoughts?

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have any statistics to back my thoughts, but the hellcat cars can be had for substantially less than sticker in my area. A Durango has never really been a sought after SUV from what I can tell. I would say the hellcat motor will help value retention but I cant imagine it being a collectors car at any point. They are only making it for one year so I could be wrong. I have had 3 raptors and all have held value very well in comparison to anything else I have owned, including two late model diesel trucks. I could be totally wrong but I would think a Raptor would retain value better in the long run.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMO, pick up trucks will retain their value better and longer.

This is for the gen 1 and he's got lots of quirks and features but you get the idea. One of the reasons I got new since used were close in price.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Weird comparison. It's just my opinion, but it seems hellcat engines thrown into various vehicles hasn't been holding value all that well. And people looking for performance vehicles aren't typically looking at SUVs. The fact that it's limited quantity will help it's value some.

If you're trying to decide on which to buy though, I would definitely think there are enough other difference between the two to make a decision off of. Forget about resale and buy the one you want.

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raptor will be better in the long run. Its a truck for one, and historically Raptors have retained there value decently. The other part is inflation has the whole market messed up. If things settle down again, you will see the prices start to get back to where they should be for the used trucks.... under MSRP. Lets face it, right now its still a good time to trade in your truck (or car) on something new and you should come out pretty nice on the other side.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Durango Hellcat was made for one year only and in limited numbers (3000 I believe). In my opinion, it will hold its value in the long run. There will be many more Raptor 35's produced... in the 10's of thousands more.
Low mileage and options will be key of course. Just my 0.02....