Random Gen3 Musings (questions too)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been mentioned somewhere in the millions of awesome, and not so awesome, words on this forum I call my home away from home.

Having just gotten my Gen3, I have a few queries and very minor complaints.

First: where the heck is the turbo gauge?

Second: Does Ford really think we are kindergartners (I actually am) and sees a need to keep the words "My Gauges" displayed on the dash? I mean, can't it disappear?

Third: This I know has been pointed out, but what a asinine move to remove the tranny numbers. Couldn't fit it? Fire the damn designer of the center dash.

Fourth: Which of the "My Gauges" do you display? The vacuum one is weird, thought it was the turbo gauge. Battery voltage? If you're not camping and/or using pro power which I don't have, who needs it? Oil pressure? It's duplicated on top, gauges that it seems you can't change like in the Gen2.

Fifth: If you place the sound system in surround, a mode in vehicles I usually find to be a gimmick and don't use, with certain tunes it works very well. Although I don't like that the Boston fans co-opted Sweet Caroline as their own, play the original in surround. You'll be pleasantly surprised how it sounds, with drums coming out of the left rear, etc. Couple of Grateful Dead tracks sounded good also.

Sixth: Why the "F" can't Ford offer an upgraded sound system? If you've owned or heard the Meridian in a Range Rover, every other system I've heard (not aftermarket obviously) are dog doo in comparison.

Seventh: I love how they got smart and moved the window buttons on the door, as I used to almost get my finger dragged down the track. the edge of the door where the window goes into on the Gen2 is finished like garbage. Big improvement.

Eighth: Also, they moved the mirror folding button to the top instead of where it was. About time.

Ninth: The lighting designers, aftermarket, need to get moving and design a nice no drill bumper mount for lighting.

Tenth: While I like the ease of using a mirror tap in back of mirror to connect a dash cam or radar detector, the black cable that runs from the headliner to the mirror just wreaks of cheap. There's no cable showing or wires in my Porsches.

Eleventh: Nice job on the exhaust, at least the former piped in sound. That actually appears to be thing of the past.

Twelfth: do they have to leave "for off road use only" on the dash when in Baja exhaust mode?

Thirteenth: I know they deleted the Blue Cruise. I find that disappointing but oh well. So they have lane keep assist. I tried it on the 750 mile drive home. You have to keep your hands up on the wheel, and even when you do, it often warns you to put your hands on the wheel. What a joke.

DID I SAY I LOVE MY RAPTOR? Heck, I loved all my Raptors, with the exception of the 2017 in which I found the seat cushion too short. I am spoiled by extendable thigh support in my other vehicles though.

Bacon is ready. Gotta go stuff my face. And no, it's not uncured, cancer free or turkey bacon. It's the normal good kind that stuffs up your arteries.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The transmission gear display was most likely removed due to complaints. Ford actually had to release a service message stating that it is normal for it to skip gears based on driving conditions. So that means customers were bringing their trucks to the dealer, complaining, and either the dealer was attempting to “repair” it or billing Ford for a “No Problem Found” (NPF) under warranty. That cost adds up quickly when you’re selling millions if trucks over the course of the generation. So we can all thank those people for ruining it for the rest of us.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission gear display was most likely removed due to complaints. Ford actually had to release a service message stating that it is normal for it to skip gears based on driving conditions. So that means customers were bringing their trucks to the dealer, complaining, and either the dealer was attempting to “repair” it or billing Ford for a “No Problem Found” (NPF) under warranty. That cost adds up quickly when you’re selling millions if trucks over the course of the generation. So we can all thank those people for ruining it for the rest of us.
I don't think this is the reason, the regular F-150s of this generation still have the gear indicator. The Raptor has the "Raptor settings" (exhaust, steering, suspension) icons in the same place. I think Ford just couldn't be bothered to figure out a better layout.

aileron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the OP - I agree with most of your comments. The gauge cluster design leaves a lot to be desired - especially frustrating since they literally could do whatever they wanted.

However, the "vacuum gauge" is also the boost gauge, which is also how it worked on my 2019.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A couple more minor observations.

1. Cladding on bottom of rear doors secured by being wraparound inside and screwed in.

2. Large front door pockets have a semi divider to prevent things sliding. Nice touch.

3. They removed the seat cushion tilt from passenger seat. That s u c k s.

4. My 3D Maxpider rear floor mat from my Gen2 is too big due to the vertical “wall” of the otherwise fold flat storage unit.

5. This may be a figment of my imagination, but seems as if there are less spots to store favorite radio stations.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think this is the reason, the regular F-150s of this generation still have the gear indicator. The Raptor has the "Raptor settings" (exhaust, steering, suspension) icons in the same place. I think Ford just couldn't be bothered to figure out a better layout.
Interesting. I haven’t been in a 2021+ truck in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free