Rando thoughts brought on by C8 Corvette

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my brother just ordered 2 new C8 Corvettes this week, a black car for right away and that funky blue color that will be delayed availability. He is seriously considering cancelling a McLaren 600LT order that he has in since he was less than amused when his 720S caught fire on the track. I am also getting seriously close to ordering up a C8 for the wife since I can get employee pricing through him (not a GM employee but he has bought at least 10 'Vettes in the last five years so I guess they just hook him up). I figure the 1LT pack would be enough equipment and she won't need the Z51 pack so maybe $61-62K MSRP and then $55K at employee pricing, give or take.

Now for the Raptor content: Is it just me or has GM kind of shaken up the entire enthusiast market in terms of pricing? I was going to pick up a 2020 911 Carrera to replace my 2015, but a base MSRP of $97K has me baffled. I kind of lump the Raptor in with all the cars that suddenly look very, very overpriced for what they are. Sure Ford, $60K for a hotted up F-150 sounds totally reasonable when I can get a mid-engined supercar for the same price. Not that the Raptor is alone. Shelby GT350 bases higher than the Corvette. LOL. Only a total Ford fan boi idiot would choose the 3900lb Mustang over the C8. Toyota Supra? At $55K for the loaded example, they have got to be kidding. And please check everything the C8 has as standard equipment for $60K before you start making an argument defending the Raptor as a value proposition.

Anyone else feel like this is a paradigm shift?

TL;DR New Corvette exposes Raptor as horrifically overpriced

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a lifelong Porsche guy the new Corvette is very attractive to me. The desirable 911's are now at Ferrari and McLaren money. As the C8 rolls out in the next few years I think we'll see performance models priced around $100K. Given that a "decent" 911 for track use is now $150K and up that's a pretty good steal

Or i could just stay w/ Porsche and buy the new GT4 for similar money.

Decisions, decisions.

No Raptor content here other than I use my Raptor to tow my race car ('04 Porsche GT3 track only) to the track.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lol - well yeah, if you’re taking a car to a track & a) wanna rip on it like it’s meant to be, & b) wanna actually win doing so, & c) don’t wanna break the bank in consumables (tires/clutch/brakes/fluid etc) then YES by all means you should cancel the mclaren order & forget about a C8 a C7 Z06 or ZR1 would fit the bill.

The C8 is gonna be siiccckkk tho- I call it GM’s mic drop. I mean think about what a RWD, torque converter V8 front engine design has done for them already not only against exotics- but legit supercars. Now imagine what a twin turbo smaller displacement dual clutch potentially partial Electric AWD mid engine “zora” will do.....rewrite the playbook that’s what.

I work for a company that makes the ingot that goes into the engines/trannies for GM- I’ve been to the plants in bowling green & Tonawanda, they are making the small displacement high revving tt V8 too, Ive seen the test mules as scrap in person.

OP
OP
C

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the ZO6 is slated to get the 4.2L twin turbo V8 out of the Cadillac Blackwing models. Probably in the 650hp range. I figure the inevitable ZR1 will get the same engine with hybridization for close to 800.

For God's sake, the base car with Z51 perf. pack is assured at sub-3 seconds zero to sixty and probably low 11s @125ish in the quarter mile. At some point, you have to figure enough is enough.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are not alone! I day dream and search car sites and read articles for all kinds of vehicles to replace this Raptor with... Chevy just answered with a unbelievable offering.

911, R8, RS3/5/6/7/TT, M2/3/4/5/6, X5M, GT500/350, ZL1, C7Z06, Demon/Hellcat/TrackHawk, Supra/Z4, GTR, just to name a few.

The C8, in its base Stingray form (even the 1LT is well equipped) at an unbelievable $60k has blown all performance/lux vehicles away... in any category (even the beloved Raptor can’t justify its cost/benefit against the C8.

My only concern is that they are going to be everywhere!

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I hope they tank the value of all super cars, I could really jump on a Huracan around $100,000.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me, the obvious village idiot, how on earth you compare a C8 and its price to a Raptor and its price?

I mean, can you possibly pick two diametrically opposes vehicles?

As for Porsche, I track my ‘19 911 T with its lowly 350 hp and it goes around just fine, kicking ass on many higher HP vehicles. It’s the nut behind the wheel that gets tightened first, remember that.

As for the C8, I do believe I will trade my 911 for it in a couple of years. It’s an awesome offering and will sink other super car sales quicker than the Lusitania.

ARH1956

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, when you price the Raptor against a top tier Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, Pick Up, or even a Limited F150 it is truly a great deal for the $$$ and the total package content. The C8, if properly sorted out and delivered as predicted is going to shake up the Sports/Entry Super Car market just as the 2010 Raptor did to the P/Up field. And I’m seriously surprised that Ford has had ZERO competition after 10 years for the Raptor!

Last edited:

Oceanbnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t lump in trucks with sports cars. Different dynamic. The price your paying for trucks are off-roading ability, durability and towing. Raptor’s a super truck without an equivalent at the moment. Naturally there is a bit of overpricing but Ford has cornered the market and currently is king.

Also this new Corvette has yet to be tested so don’t think there aren’t some kinks that folks will likely discover. Then we’ll here folks say, “well that’s why it’s ONLY $$$$”

Cypress

Reaction score
Comparing both is odd but value wise I think they are about equal.

The C8 is a 2 seat high performance sports car. Great for canyon carving, boulevard cruising, and track. It will offer world class performance for around 60k but offers almost zero utility.

Raptor is a high performance off road vehicle that seats 5 comfortably, offers almost unlimited utility, 4 wheel drive, and baja ready stadium truck like performance for around 60k.

I think both vehicles are equally game changing and offer great value for what you get. In the future I can see both in my driveway giving me the best of all worlds.