Ram TRX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be forgetting that the ram already comes on coils in the rear. it’s a proven Suspension that ford is currently trying to copy. Also if they come on air suspension they have the potential to a much much better all around truck. You’ll be able to compensate for towing, rockcrawling, desert running it would be a huge jump over what we have now. And if you don’t think air will work off road
Air suspension is great until it isn't. Punctured air bag = ruined mood.

Bertmaklin

Reaction score
Same could be said for broken springs, leafs and coils can and will fail. Spend enough time in the desert everything fails. But not having to put a weight distributing hitch on to tow your boat or having a v8 rumble which I feel like fca has got the exhaust note dialed might definitely take the sting out of not being in a raptor

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well what I can tell you from the various Ford and Chrysler products I've had is that I've actually had more problems with Fords. The engine in my '16 GT350 shit the bed with a bit over 3K on it, a coolant hose popped off on a trail on my '17 Raptor, locks froze and failed; TSB there as well as the warped plastic oil pan I had to have replaced (with the same part) and it was making some weird crackling noises upon start from about 10K on it till I sold it with 30K miles on it. From what I've read that sound is indicative of cam phaser trouble.

My '12 Ram 1500 had two broken exhaust studs at a bit over 60K and that was it. It was a great truck and so far my Ram Rebel is as well. My Challenger had no problems at all, and my wife's Durango had no problems while we had it either. In my experience, the FCA products have been much better.

But we'll see what Ford comes up with. If they stick with the 3.5 (no matter how much boost they give it) they'll have those trucks withering on the vine at the lots. They have to come out with a V8 of some sort, turbo or SC'd in order to compete with the Ram TRX. Ram has the current F-150's interiors beat with their new Gen V trucks.

Many of the negative comments toward Chrysler I have to think stem from the absolute crap they used to make in the 70-90's. I agree, they were absolute *****. A poor reputation is hard to shake off.

Here's JD Power rating 2018 models...see a Ram on there?
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/rating...le-dependability-study-most-dependable-trucks

Here...based on JD power Ram is 2 of the top 8 least reliable:
https://www.motor1.com/features/373433/least-reliable-trucks/4393689/

I'm tired of doing your research so here's the last one....
https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2019/04/are-ram-1500-pickups-reliable/

With all due respect to your personal experience I suggest doing the research and see what the majority of owners are experiencing.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need to keep reminding people- Ford makes ****** V8s....sorry

Who makes a better boosted motor than ford right now though? Nobody. (Don’t say bmw- all around cost vs reliability ain’t a comparison) - who has been soooo confident their boosted engines are legit, they not only decided to drop one in their Halo supercar/company icon vehicle - despite the tapping the KNEW would happen- but also decided to drop it into their best selling vehicle ever? You all know the answer. If Ford’s V8s were so awesome & something to wait for & worry about, then why the F do they have trouble selling all the V8 F150s? Why does the ecoboost outsell it? Why do they now offer THREE different EB engines & 1 soon to be discontinued V8?

Delusional. I’m a GM guy. You know who I wouldn’t buy a V8 truck from? Ford. I especially wouldn’t want a high performance one in a Baja type truck. I prefer having an EB engine they’ve been toiling over & refining for years- a design they felt confident enough to put in their fleet/police vehicles + best selling vehicle + halo vehicle.

If Ram brings the TRX to market we will see how legit it really is & will see what Fords reaction is- my guess it won’t be anything. They’ll just make the HO 3.5 nastier.

What was fords reaction to the GM ecotec 5.3 & 6.2 V8s when it came to sales of a vehicle they REALLY care about vs. a speciality niche vehicle like the Raptor? Their reaction was to keep making boosted smaller displacement engines & add an even smaller 2.7 to the mix. Yet you think they’re gonna be worried about Ram dropping a V8 into new off-road truck? Does Ford give a shit about all the rams out there w/ hemis? Are they being outsold by them?
Meatheads.

End this debate.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need to keep reminding people- Ford makes ****** V8s....sorry

Who makes a better boosted motor than ford right now though? Nobody. (Don’t say bmw- all around cost vs reliability ain’t a comparison) - who has been soooo confident their boosted engines are legit, they not only decided to drop one in their Halo supercar/company icon vehicle - despite the tapping the KNEW would happen- but also decided to drop it into their best selling vehicle ever? You all know the answer. If Ford’s V8s were so awesome & something to wait for & worry about, then why the F do they have trouble selling all the V8 F150s? Why does the ecoboost outsell it? Why do they now offer THREE different EB engines & 1 soon to be discontinued V8?

Delusional. I’m a GM guy. You know who I wouldn’t buy a V8 truck from? Ford. I especially wouldn’t want a high performance one in a Baja type truck. I prefer having an EB engine they’ve been toiling over & refining for years- a design they felt confident enough to put in their fleet/police vehicles + best selling vehicle + halo vehicle.

If Ram brings the TRX to market we will see how legit it really is & will see what Fords reaction is- my guess it won’t be anything. They’ll just make the HO 3.5 nastier.

What was fords reaction to the GM ecotec 5.3 & 6.2 V8s when it came to sales of a vehicle they REALLY care about vs. a speciality niche vehicle like the Raptor? Their reaction was to keep making boosted smaller displacement engines & add an even smaller 2.7 to the mix. Yet you think they’re gonna be worried about Ram dropping a V8 into new off-road truck? Does Ford give a shit about all the rams out there w/ hemis? Are they being outsold by them?
Meatheads.

End this debate.

Typical GM fanboy ignorance. GM v8s are sub par to both Ford and Chrysler. The only redeeming quality is they are plentiful and cheap, which is why so many are swapped into projects.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I'd have to agree. If the air was strictly a towing feature and Ford could figure out how to incorporate it while improving travel with the linked setup that would be awesome for those who tow.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Typical GM fanboy ignorance. GM v8s are sub par to both Ford and Chrysler. The only redeeming quality is they are plentiful and cheap, which is why so many are swapped into projects.

This is so very funny- almost not worth responding to, but some education is in order so I’ll oblige.

Well first off they aren’t “cheap” as in cheaply made- but they’re affordable relative to other platforms & certainly from a HP per $$$ standpoint. (Not to mention packaging & weight- Ford V8s all heads & cams weighing more & displacing less volume &!’aling less power)

The reason they’re plentiful is b/c they’re popular & the reason their popular is b/c they’re so damn good.

But I digress- in truth one of the main reasons they’re one of the most sought after power plants for engine swaps & hot rod builds is due to the bellhouse location & bolt pattern that has endured for decades essentially unchanged- & that’s a well known fact, so all the supporting go-fast shit you can buy under the sun is built to mate up to a GM LSx. The fact that many parts are basically interchangeable from nearly all years & platforms between the LS family is another reason. If you knew shit about V8s you would know this to be true. If I was a straight GM fanboy I wouldn’t be pointing this fact out nor would I be driving a Raptor & on this forum.

But I don’t really need to convince you That Ford’s @ the bottom of the heap in the V8 world- its something Ford has essentially admitted themselves- if they were so confident in their V8 engine building then why do they put minimal effort in designing & releasing new versions? Why don’t they make a single friggin vehicle aside from the mustang & ****** HD gasser trucks w/ their “legendary” (LOLing) V8? Why do all their full size SUVs & trucks get fitted w/ eco boost motors?

They don’t even make a luxury car (I don’t even know that they make a car these days other than mustang actually) w/ a V8- caddy & Lexus make plenty.

I mean Jesus buddy if Ford had a superior V8 to GM & Chrysler why the hell aren’t they putting them in anything?

The mustangs get the V8s then underperform against V8 Camaros (lol @ comparing to a vette) - altho they do go around a track better than a challenger that’s for damn sure.

I’ll leave you w/ this- if you were to spend a week or 2 @ VIR, englishtown, lime kiln, or Epping & surveyed all the racers there w/ this question “you can only pick 1 engine to build a car around what do you choose?” Or “you got a gun to your head & need to pick which engine will grenade first in a track torture test GM, Chrysler, Ford- what do you choose?”

I can guarantee to you even a fanboy wearing a blue oval hat- if they’ve spent any time/experience on race tracks- they’ll be picking the GM engine.