Rallycross, Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was a hard packed course so traction was not an issue and I wanted all of my HP. If it was sandy or had recently rained, I would have run it in 4WD.

One of the best parts about it was doing the opposite of the hazard signs. If you notice the air shot, there is a double yellow triangle sign off to the side. That is to let drivers know to SLOW down, however, when our Raptor group saw it we sped up!!

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with the local Reno SCCA. No Rallycross here. Didn't get the turn out and couldn't get enough help to run it. Going to have to look in NorCal or Socal I guess.

OP
OP
B

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update, 12 months later. I'm FINALLY registered and paid up for my first rallycross this coming Sunday. I don't know if I'll have anybody there with me, but if I do, I'll be sure to post up any pics I get.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying there are close to zero proper Raptor style off roading opportunities here in North East Iowa. SCCA is holding a Rallycross in a couple weeks and I'm considering entering, just so I can finally have some off road fun. I realize the Rap isn't the ideal rallycrosser, but does anyone have any experience? Or tips for a first timer?
The only tip that I can offer is a Road Trip to Vegas. We will call it??
The 1st Annual Las Vegas Thanksgiving Raptor Rally :pepper::pepper::pepper:

Last edited:

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Rallycross is a blast and Raptors do much better than people may think. I went to around 6 or 7 events with my Gen 1. Locally, we had enough Raptors attend they even created a separate category for us. After we ran, the event coordinators had to tell all the other drivers NOT to get air over the jumps or they will damage their cars. A few didn't listen and regretted it. And for those that think Raptors won't be competitive with the other vehicles running since we are like Bulls in a China shop, I'd suggest you work on your driver mod. I finished 5th out of 30 vehicles, not too bad for a 6k pound truck on a tight course. If you have the opportunity to give it a try, do it!

View attachment 156072 View attachment 156073 View attachment 156074 View attachment 156076
Fantastic Pictures!

OP
OP
B

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally! All I can say is, I've never had more fun in a vehicle with my clothes on. I was the lone truck in a sea of Subaru. I outweighed my nearest competitor in class by about #2500, as well as what had to be more than a foot in track width. I didn't finish top of class, but I'm more than happy with how the truck performed considering how tightly the cones were placed. After 10 laps between the 2 courses they had set up, I was off the top time by just over 50 seconds. That sounds like a lot, and it is, but the class winner was a national Rallycross runner-up a couple years back.

I had plenty of power, more than was useful ,actually. Probably could have been in oversteer the entire course. Ruts (which deepened surprisingly quickly) weren't an issue, obviously.
My biggest problem was inertia. 6K plus pounds doesn't tend to change direction as quickly as 3K. But that was half the fun, *** end hanging out on the long sweepers only to change direction and repeat.

If any of you are considering giving Rallycross a shot, I HIGHLY recommend it! You won't meet a nicer, more helpful group of people. Expect to get a few comments/compliments about seeing your Raptor in the wild far away from Walmart/Starbucks parking lot.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Finally! All I can say is, I've never had more fun in a vehicle with my clothes on. I was the lone truck in a sea of Subaru. I outweighed my nearest competitor in class by about #2500, as well as what had to be more than a foot in track width. I didn't finish top of class, but I'm more than happy with how the truck performed considering how tightly the cones were placed. After 10 laps between the 2 courses they had set up, I was off the top time by just over 50 seconds. That sounds like a lot, and it is, but the class winner was a national Rallycross runner-up a couple years back.

I had plenty of power, more than was useful ,actually. Probably could have been in oversteer the entire course. Ruts (which deepened surprisingly quickly) weren't an issue, obviously.
My biggest problem was inertia. 6K plus pounds doesn't tend to change direction as quickly as 3K. But that was half the fun, *** end hanging out on the long sweepers only to change direction and repeat.

If any of you are considering giving Rallycross a shot, I HIGHLY recommend it! You won't meet a nicer, more helpful group of people. Expect to get a few comments/compliments about seeing your Raptor in the wild far away from Walmart/Starbucks parking lot.
Where are you from? Sounds like a blast. I was very active in Solo 1 autocross for a long time, never did a Rallycross.