Rallycross, Anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying there are close to zero proper Raptor style off roading opportunities here in North East Iowa. SCCA is holding a Rallycross in a couple weeks and I'm considering entering, just so I can finally have some off road fun. I realize the Rap isn't the ideal rallycrosser, but does anyone have any experience? Or tips for a first timer?

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be fun if you meet the requirements for their Rallycross.

" What Kind of Car Do I Need?
No special rally car is needed. Any factory hardtop vehicle passing a basic safety inspection is fine, so your daily-driven sedan on street tires is perfect for Rallycross. For safety reasons, rollover-prone vehicles such as SUVs, 4x4's, and many full-sized trucks may not be allowed to compete. "

OP
OP
B

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be fun if you meet the requirements for their Rallycross.

" What Kind of Car Do I Need?
No special rally car is needed. Any factory hardtop vehicle passing a basic safety inspection is fine, so your daily-driven sedan on street tires is perfect for Rallycross. For safety reasons, rollover-prone vehicles such as SUVs, 4x4's, and many full-sized trucks may not be allowed to compete. "

They mentioned that if track width is more than 3" narrower than overall height the vehicle would not be allowed. I'm at 4.5", but the official I spoke with says a Raptor will be fine, and allowed. If I decide to enter I may just take it easy the first time, just to be safe.

OP
OP
B

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out this has been nixed by the Mrs., for now. But not for the reason you'd expect. We live in a extreme Covid hotspot right now and she's afraid I'll come home sick and kill her parents or something. So, I guess this will have to wait until Spring '21. Definitely doing the first event that comes up next year, so long as a giant asteroid doesn't wipe us all out before then. Screw 2020.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, I would use Baja mode (for the antilag), 4wd, manual tranny, hold traction button 5 seconds for stability/traction control off, not sure on locking the rear end, I'd try it both ways, I bet locked is better, get that ass out there.

OP
OP
B

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I would use Baja mode (for the antilag), 4wd, manual tranny, hold traction button 5 seconds for stability/traction control off, not sure on locking the rear end, I'd try it both ways, I bet locked is better, get that ass out there.

Excellent. On their tip page, they recommend upping tire pressure by 10 PSI to maintain bead. I was thinking the opposite, running closer to 30 PSI. What are your thoughts on that?

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Excellent. On their tip page, they recommend upping tire pressure by 10 PSI to maintain bead. I was thinking the opposite, running closer to 30 PSI. What are your thoughts on that?

I agree with them not dropping the pressure. Yeah lower pressure will give you more forward traction, but you will be sideloaing the tires a lot in the corners and it will probably get pretty rutted. I wouldn't up it 10 psi either I dont think, Id just run the stock 38 psi.