Railroad Springs…into the Desert yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
@John M BUNMAN ive been eyeing this from foutz, just haven’t pulled the trigger yet as I just replaced rear diff fluid. Will do it before next oil change.

That may be the one that @FordTechOne said may overheat the rear diff?
@FordTechOne is that a possibility? I don’t know enough about it, and I can’t risk voiding my ESP. I’ll run it by my service manager too.
I really like the protection that one gives though.
The ones I used before were basically a bullnose skid plate held in place by a couple of hangers.
Let me know if you pull the trigger and what you experience.
Thanks again

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That may be the one that @FordTechOne said may overheat the rear diff?
@FordTechOne is that a possibility? I don’t know enough about it, and I can’t risk voiding my ESP. I’ll run it by my service manager too.
I really like the protection that one gives though.
The ones I used before were basically a bullnose skid plate held in place by a couple of hangers.
Let me know if you pull the trigger and what you experience.
Thanks again
It’s a good question. I don’t have a definitive answer, but the only thing cooling the rear differential is the air passing over it. Unlike an engine, it’s not generating heat when stationary or at low speeds, so it doesn’t have a cooler. So at 100+ degrees in the desert at high speeds, you’d want the maximum amount of possible airflow across the housing.

A good test would be to run the truck with and without the cover and take temperature readings with an infrared thermometer. Alternatively, with something like the Ford Performance differential cover, you could install a temperature probe at the fill plug to measure actual fluid temperature. Those would be some interesting results.

OP
OP
John M BUNMAN

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
It’s a good question. I don’t have a definitive answer, but the only thing cooling the rear differential is the air passing over it. Unlike an engine, it’s not generating heat when stationary or at low speeds, so it doesn’t have a cooler. So at 100+ degrees in the desert at high speeds, you’d want the maximum amount of possible airflow across the housing.

A good test would be to run the truck with and without the cover and take temperature readings with an infrared thermometer. Alternatively, with something like the Ford Performance differential cover, you could install a temperature probe at the fill plug to measure actual fluid temperature. Those would be some interesting results.
Thank you sir, as always, your input is greatly appreciated.