Radio/Nav Steering Wheel Controls - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, they keep messing up the small shit on your truck fred. what else could they have possibly done wrong?

No shit! I sub'd this thread because my controls have been doing the same thing for awhile now, and have been looking for the fix....

...but... now that the thread has "matured", I'm finding myself more interested in what the hell is going to happen next to Fred! :lol2:

TTOKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...that does make sense unless he just works on the focus...

Btw..he left his Allan wrench in my column...I about tore a hole in my hand when I stuck the key in...

Sweet...free Allen wrench. Maybe it was "free Allen wrench with all repairs" day and you didn't see the sign.

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always clean the car after I take it in to the dealer to make sure nothing was dinged...but i think I am good until my next visit...

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So now I know the clock SPRING can cause problems with the computer.
I have been driving mine with the Hill Decent Fault, TPMS Fault, the squiggly car light. Sometimes the parking brake light, sometimes the Door Ajar light flashing at me with the chime. The Nav, AC, Radio, Climate control completely cuts out. I ran diagnostic with my tuner from 5star and no DTS's came up.
I took the various bezels off around the steering wheel to see if there was something loose or disconnected wires. I took all the connectors apart and replugged them back into their locations. Someone said these trucks are all the same as 150's. NOT. The steering wheel does not have the 4 screws on the back to release the airbag. I can't figure out yet how the airbag comes off to get to the steering wheel nut so I can get to the clock spring.ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET THE AIRBAG OFF THE STEERING WHEEL.
When I drive it, I can make a left turn and all of the above faults etc. start.
When I make a right turn everything starts working again. I have driven around in figure eights to make sure I'm seeing what I'm seeing. Yesterday. I got in the truck one time and started driving home. Everything worked fine all the way home. Right and left turn. I thought maybe from messing with wires etc. it cleared itself. NOPE. Today it started doing it again.
I am thinking that the clock spring is the problem. At least it is somewhat inexpensive, under $100 to try. This has been frustrating to say the least.

I do not trust our small ford dealer as I did have them do warranty work when I got the truck with 35K miles. They had never worked on a Raptor. Now it's 38K miles so I have to fix myself. I don't want to give my truck to someone that is going to learn how to work on them on my dime. I'm willing to take it to a dealer but I have to take it down to the Phoenix area. I don't know what dealers that have mechanics that have experience with the electronics etc. on the Raptor. Anyone have any suggestions.
I'm thinking that if I get this fixed by having everyone halp here then There may be a lot more that will be able to do their own repairs like this. There's going to be a lot of trucks getting past that warranty period with the trucks getting to be 3+ years old.
Thanks,
Mil T

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clock spring is right, iCal it screw since I keep thinking **** ring, anyway very frustrating, as stated my only problem was with the steering wheel controls until they replaced the spring and that is when the hill descent fault and abs faults started along with the turn signal not shutting off...

I remember the tech stating that he unhooked the battery,because of the airbag and he did not want to touch a sensor with a tool and enagage the air bag and something about the clips...

That is all I can tell you...shit I can't even pronounce the part correctly...I will say it only took him about an hour to replace the spring...and if he had plugged all the connections together there would have been not hill descent and abs faults...

The only help I can be is to give you the service managers name and email and number and my Techs name... Just let me Know, maybe they could walk you through it...

Btw- stop turning left...

Fred

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clock spring is right, iCal it screw since I keep thinking **** ring, anyway very frustrating, as stated my only problem was with the steering wheel controls until they replaced the spring and that is when the hill descent fault and abs faults started along with the turn signal not shutting off...

I remember the tech stating that he unhooked the battery,because of the airbag and he did not want to touch a sensor with a tool and enagage the air bag and something about the clips...

That is all I can tell you...shit I can't even pronounce the part correctly...I will say it only took him about an hour to replace the spring...and if he had plugged all the connections together there would have been not hill descent and abs faults...

The only help I can be is to give you the service managers name and email and number and my Techs name... Just let me Know, maybe they could walk you through it...

Btw- stop turning left...

Fred

Ha Ha. I try to stay going right as often as I can believe me. LOL.

I'm sure I'll be able to figure out how to get it off but if you want to pm me the tech and or service manager that would be great. Thanks for posting on here your problem so that I might somehow be able to figure mine out.
Mil T

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
follow up

I have been posting updates to my delima with the faults etc. I still am having issue with it. I have a post in the tech forum called MY TOUGH ISSUES.

What the tech did not hook up on your truck Fred was the centering ring that is attached to your column. When it is unhooked you get the hill decent and ESC fault along with no blinkers. I have unhooked many connectors under the dash and this centering ring connector did exactly what yours did. I'm still chasing the gremlin but now I think it is at least isolated under the dash. I may put a new clock spring in just to elimnate one thing that COULD maybe cause it although my radio and nav unit works fine when it doesn't just shut down. The right and left steering is also a connection with the centering ring on the column as well.

Mil T

OP
OP
Fred

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you find your fix soon...I would have gone crazy a long time ago...I was also thinking of some other things the Tech did...he did have his laptop hooked up the entire time...and was sending something to the computer...also he told me that if the connectors are not tight, whatever that means, it can cause intermittent problems...he actually double checked a couple...

I could tell he was getting frustrated at times and would just unplug the laptop and disconnect the ground on the battery...and start a again...

Glad I am under Warranty...

Good luck and keep me posted...

Fred

iPad 3 using Tapatalk