Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Radiator fans

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by mattyz99, Jan 7, 2020.

1. mattyz99

mattyz99 Full Access Member

Im not sure if my radiator fans are working I’ve been running hot been seeing with normal driving on the freeway coolant temps climb to 235 degrees. I checked the fan fuses they are all good, did some research and found a video of a guy with bad radiator fans that according to him the bad ones would spin easily by hand and the new set would not, my are spinning easily by hand (vehicle off) can anyone check their fans and see if they too spin easily by hand?

2. Bhollier

Bhollier FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Might want to look into your thermostat. Sounds like it might be sticking and not opening up.

3. mattyz99

That was my first thought too, Literally just installed the spd 170 degree thermostat and noticed the fans not running when I did the warm and bleed for the thermostat insall saw temps during bleed from 180-209

4. Bhollier

Bhollier FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Check the connections for the fan, may also want to put a meter on them to see if they are getting an output signal switching them on. Only other thing I could think of is maybe flush your radiator or may have air in the system.

Donmatteo likes this.
  5. zombiekiller

zombiekiller EXO Crewmember

those aren't unusual temps for when you are bleeding the system. Was it a sustained 209? or did it spike to 209, then drop down to 180?

I'd agree that before you go replacing anything else, you should meter the fans and also make sure that there isn't another air bubble in the system.

do you happen to be running a tune? if so, you could log and then ask your tuner to check the logs to see if the fans are switching on.

6. mattyz99

Thanks for the help guys, I haven’t had a chance to put miles on it since the new thermostat, I will def do some data logging and see about metering the fans, one thing I was curious about was after I installed the new thermostat, filled the reservoir and brought the truck up to temp with cap off to bleed it, the coolant temp came up via my sct to above the 170 degree like I mentioned a steady 185-190 and then up to 208ish with the reving, but I didn’t get a drop in the coolant level in the reservoir just some bubbles, is that normal

7. alcoolaid

alcoolaid Full Access Member

I’ve had a few instances back when I was working on powerstrokes where new replacement thermostats would be faulty. So if you’re sure there’s no air in the system, coolant is topped, fans are going then I would say pull the thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water and see how far it opens up.

8. Slow6

Slow6 Full Access Member

What temp do the fans come on stock with the 195 therm, on a properly functioning system?

9. im33303

im33303 Full Access Member

Here is a stock 2019 Raptor Fan operating percentage vs Water Temp

2019 Stock Raptor.png

10. Chrishiznit33

Chrishiznit33 Member

I’m having cooling issues ever since I replaced my radiator which started leaking randomly. Mechanic says there is not air bubbles. I’m seeing temps as high as 243 degrees on the highway. Replaced thermostat too and not helping. Maybe I need to try another tstat? Coolant is topped off...