Radar detectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
V1 is the best.

Definitely read your manual and learn to disable X band, makes it quieter around town, unless you're in the one or two states that use X band.

The new V1 units have good filtering that blocks out most of the car radar cruise control/blind spot monitoring too. Occasionally I get a Tahoe or Yukon that gives me a false positive but it's pretty rare.

If you want to save a few pennies, they will sell you a return unit for 10% off, but you have to call. I usually do that and save $40.

Call them one of these days and they can give you a code to make false alarms from other vehicles nonexistent. Takes about 5 minutes to make it perfect......

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I forgot to actually say what I use. I use a V1 running custom sweeps and connected via V1C (Bluetooth adapter) to the V1Driver app running in the background on my iPhone. Pairing with V1Driver provides slow-speed muting and auto GPS signal lockouts for stationary signals like automatic doors etc., as well as voice alerts for signal frequency and direction.

Although I use a V1, there's no perfect detector for everyone. The V1 is great, but it's really for someone willing to geek out on radar avoidance. For example, knowing what traffic radar signals are most used in the areas (Ka 34.7 in my case) where you travel and programming the V1 to focus on those particular band segments.

The V1 can be very noisy and annoying if you aren't willing to tweak the settings to use the detector to its full potential. It also doesn't have the crazy range that the Redline or upcoming Uniden R1/R3 have, so it might not be best for those prioritize range/sensitivity over more easily being able to pinpoint location of the threat.

For someone who wants a good performing unit that's plug and play with minimal configuration or even having to manually manage GPS lockouts, there's the Max 360.

For long trips, a decent detector and running an app like Waze for crowdsourcing hazards should have you covered.

I know that I've had several cases where I saw a Ka band signal ramping up on my detector and decided to slow to the posted speed and get in the right lane to allow someone to pass me. They blow past and I see them a few miles later pulled over by Highway Patrol. Just having that feeling one time is worth the price of admission. :)

Good luck with whatever unit you end up with. They can be helpful as long as you don't see it as a replacement for good situational awareness.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
so... while it’s been quite a bit since I’ve run the V1, I still have it and have used it frequently. In the right conditions the v1 can detect a radar unit over a mile away - that’s 40-65 seconds of radar alert for you to slow down and find a blocker. If you’re the only one on the road, you’re already nabbed in all likelihood but the Rap doesn’t lend itself well to being the blocker so lets some unwashed, hipster priussy take the hit.

Definitely, no one detector is perfect, and if you don’t heed the warning, it’s worthless.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I turn my V1 on and forget it. It's not hooked up to my phone or my computer or some other Bluetooth device. I just run it and it makes noise when it detects something. I really like the directional indicators. Has saved me more than once when being followed by the man. Had it for over 8-9 years with zero issues or tickets.

They are all different and I've used a few others out of curiosity but I keep going back to the V1 because it's durable and easy to use.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let the V1 custom sweeps app bluetooth adapter double secret probation guys scare you away. A new V1 works great out of the box.

If it's too noisy, you can disable X band just reading your manual and without any apps. Again, don't go down the radar geek rabbit hole unless you really have a lot of time on your hands.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@BajaFred the Uniden R1/R3 units appear to be consistently outperforming the Redline and other top units plus offering internal GPS etc. The units are prerelease test units, but the hardware is final.

Nice, I'll wait 6 months and see if there's going to be a Redline 2 to see who is the new king of long distance

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
V1 or the ******- either way you are keeping some of my neighbors employed!