Radar detectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXBrian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a V1 in each car but have a uniden r7 on pre-order.
The Uniden r3 smokes the V1 on range and falses a lot less too.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean exactly? Pic?
I don't have it mounted, butbut comes with a clip to mount it to your front sun shades. I had a buddy that mounted it in his grill to conceal it too

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a V1 in each car but have a uniden r7 on pre-order.
The Uniden r3 smokes the V1 on range and falses a lot less too.

Yeah, I really like the R3. Excellent range, very low (one of the lowest in the industry) false alert rate, moderate cost. What is not to like? I want arrows, and that is coming on the R7. My V1 has arrows, but not the sensitivity of the R3 and the V1 falses more. I have to run K band on here, since one of the local agencies still uses K band.

My install is here:
Truck_radios_12.jpg

Note that in CA you can get a ticket for your detector being mounted to the front window, and in my above picture the detector is NOT mounted to the window. Instead I built a custom mount that goes to the plastic shroud above the mirror.

Truck_radios_13.jpg
167374878.PUfJ74xA.RD04.jpg

T!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have it mounted, butbut comes with a clip to mount it to your front sun shades. I had a buddy that mounted it in his grill to conceal it too

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Ahhh- I call those sun visors. "Sun shade" made me think of the sliding sunroof shade.

Can't do the visor since it can't be flipped down or swung against the side window with a detector on it. I'm one of those people who actually uses the sun visors, so I refuse to have things clipped to it, papers shoved into them, etc.

TXGREEK

Reaction score
Great setup but looks like you may get radio antenna interference installed behind the windshield antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great setup but looks like you may get radio antenna interference installed behind the windshield antenna.

If you are referring to my post and pictures, there is no installation behind or near a windshield antenna.

My radar detector is installed behind the factory windshield tint strip / perforated shade. There is no antenna in this area on my 2018 SCREW. The perforated tint should interfere slightly with the laser detection, however I have been painted by laser since this install and it does work behind the screening, although I can't quantify the reduction. I suspected there would be some RF shading from the, possibly, mylar film. I don't know what Ford makes the perforated screen from but it appears to not be conductive or blocking radar signals. I am a radar systems engineer, and I measured the in band RF attenuation of the windshield and sun screen for each radar band. There is a very slight attenuation, but nothing significant.

Oh yeah, and it works great there also, I can often detect police Ka band signals at distances measured in miles.

T!@