Race Radio install in center console front storage tray with cover still operational

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone would like the Rugged Radio Universal Dash Mount that I bought from Rugged Radio, please PM me. $20 shipped in cont. US.
The device made and sold by @jwpres already comes with this universal mount (which he has modified to fit his own mount), which I am buying from him.

The RR dash mount I have is non-modified, brand new.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0971.jpg
I was originally going to french this remote speaker into dash upper tray so it would sit flush with rear portion of tray just below center speaker but I ran out of time. So for now I used the include mounting bracket and surface mounted it to the tray. I can remove the speaker and bracket easily for times I'm not using radio. I might also look into tying it into factory center speaker, just not sure how to do that yet.

I don't think you'd be able to connect the center channel speaker very well. First you'd have to disconnect the center channel from the main speaker system, which is not hard to do, but would likely cause your stock stereo to sound rather poor, since it expects the center channel to be there.

The second problem is that the signal coming out of the race radio isn't amplified, it looks to be around 4W max. The external speaker you have is designed to work with that wattage, the same way headphones will work without an amplifier. The center channel is not. It may work, but I would expect it to sound no better, possible worse than your current external speaker.

You would also need to splice the wires to get it connected correctly, which would be kind of a pain to do. If it were me, I'd probably by a second center channel speaker for $30 so that I don't have to worry about splicing it back to the main sound system if it doens't work.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...tMTUwJnk9MjAxNyZ0PXJhcHRvciZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

Of course, the alternative to this is getting an external amp between the radio and the center channel, which will cost in the $100 range plus additional wiring.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm excited as I'm preparing for @jwpres parts that will finish my RR 60 install. Now to try and figure out the software and VHF integration for HAM radio.
Anyone have tips for the radio software, I bought the cable and the RT programing.

rsbug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I'm excited as I'm preparing for @jwpres parts that will finish my RR 60 install. Now to try and figure out the software and VHF integration for HAM radio.
Anyone have tips for the radio software, I bought the cable and the RT programing.

I believe it has some of the more popular frequencies already programmed, and you have the same cable and programmer I do. (https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/) I’ve not set any of it up either.....yet.

OP
OP
jwpres

jwpres

Reaction score
Shipped out 1st batch of 6 mounts today. Will be making more mid January, let me know via PM if your interested in one.

Chase Laven

Reaction score
Received our mounts and got one truck done! Used your mount and the bullet proof diesel 3rd brake light dual antenna mount. We cut one of the antennas out and installed a cell booster antenna into the second slot. Came out super clean. Thanks again! ED165F03-6EAE-4853-8D3A-5D6D792EE322.jpeg BD6B8E84-3C11-4C23-B8BB-BF826D65A797.jpeg

Chase Laven

Reaction score
Not sure yet on the difference it makes. It’s for my brothers truck and he was in town for Christmas so installed before he goes back to work. A few guys on his crew run the same one and swear by it so hopefully it works out well for him. We used the weBoost Drive Reach Fleet (470254) Cell Phone Signal Booster