Race Radio install in center console front storage tray with cover still operational

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwpres

Reaction score
So, I did a lot of research on this forum along with others. Most seem to install their VHF radios in the center console under the armrest. Not real handy for getting to the controls. Some used remote head units but I’m not a real fan of those. I did come across a few that did mount them in the front storage area, but they lost the use of the cover. I was really wanted to maintain the cover to conceal radio from prying eyes but also because I paid for the carbon fiber package LOL.

Parts Used

Rugged Radio 60 watt VHF Radio Part #RK-RM60

Rugged Radio Universal In-Dash Mount Part #MT-IDM-RM60

Rugged Radio Mini External Speaker Part #EX-SPEAKER-MINI

Rugged Radio Coax Antenna Cap Part #NMO-CAP

Bullet Proof Diesel 3rd Brake Light Antenna Mount

IMG_1094%20%282%29.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_0973.jpg

Last edited:

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please walk us through your install, I really want to do this!
Rugged Radios is only 15 miles away, and I'm ready to get this going.

OP
OP
jwpres

jwpres

Reaction score
Won't go into all the details of removing interior and console parts but can answer questions if anyone has them.

IMG_0932.jpg
Removed passenger seat, front and rear scuff plates and loosened "C" pillar interior trim panel

IMG_0942%20%282%29.jpg
Trying to decide if it's going to fit before I start cutting

IMG_0943%20%282%29.jpg
Decided to go for it, after removing the storage compartment tray this is the console inner structure that I determined need to be cut out.

IMG_0944%20%282%29.jpg
Picture is a little dark but you can see some of the inner structure that I cut out. What you see below is the HVAC duct going to the back seat. My goal was not to disturb that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jwpres

jwpres

Reaction score
IMG_0946%20%282%29.jpg
Here is the inner tray with cut out for radio. You also see Rugged Radio's universal dash mount. I had to taper the right side of the dash mount to fit the taper of the storage tray.

IMG_0949%20%282%29.jpg
I made a adapter out of 16 gauge sheet metal that bolts to inner tray. Universal radio mount bolts to my adapter. I wanted to be able to remove radio easily after install with having to disturb any console trim parts.

IMG_0947%20%282%29.jpg
Here I'm test fitting before I drill mounting holes and paint. This step took about 6 tries before I was able to have radio position the way I wanted and cover to still open and close.

IMG_0952%20%282%29.jpg
Final mock up before installation

OP
OP
jwpres

jwpres

Reaction score
IMG_0971.jpg
I was originally going to french this remote speaker into dash upper tray so it would sit flush with rear portion of tray just below center speaker but I ran out of time. So for now I used the include mounting bracket and surface mounted it to the tray. I can remove the speaker and bracket easily for times I'm not using radio. I might also look into tying it into factory center speaker, just not sure how to do that yet.

IMG_1091%20%282%29.jpg
Antenna mount is pretty straight forward and works great. I was able to fish the coax from the 3rd brake light area to the right C pillar using a piece of mig wire without loosing the headliner. I also ran a power and ground wire for future amber chase light install I have planned. The coax and wires were then ran down the C pillar to the floor. Followed the factory wiring under the scuff plates. The coax I branched off about where the front seat mount are. Ran that under the carpet to the center console and ran the extra power wires to the right kick panel area where Ill connect them to the factory up-fitter switches later.

IMG_1089.jpg
Rugged make a cool little billet cap that protects the NMO connection when you have your antenna removed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jwpres

jwpres

Reaction score
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1094%20%282%29.jpg
Side note while I had everything apart I routed 1 usb cable to the rear portion of the little tray next to the cup holders. So when I have my phone connected the cable isn't dangling on top of everything. The other usb cable is routed to the dash upper center tray. I use that for when I have my Ipad mini installed I use with LeadNav for GPS.

IMG_0973.jpg
Storage Tray cover still functions as designed.

Last edited:

mp_tx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe rugged will create a drop in mount based off your install. Very nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk