R1 Concepts Rotors / Havoc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was fortunate to have won a complete set of R1 Concepts Premium Series rotors at Havoc in the hills, which Freedom Motorsports (aka Chris Kelley) donated to the charity raffle. I received the rotors yesterday, and are waiting on the Posi Quiet pads I ordered to compliment the rotors.

My initial impression is that these rotors are: well... AWSOME! Though I was surprised to see that they shipped me all black rotors for the front, I didn't know that this was even an option.

The front rotors are supper beefy weighing in at 28 lbs. The rears are 24 lbs. I'm curious as to how these compare to the weight of the stock rotors. The holes are smaller than I expected, but then again, these are the first set of high preformance rotors I have ever owned.

I'm now thinking that I should order stainless brake lines. I'm not sure the "boss" will approve though.

Made in USA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was fortunate to have won a complete set of R1 Concepts Eline rotors at Havoc in the hills, which Freedom Motorsports (aka Chris Kelley) donated to the charity raffle. I received the rotors yesterday, and are waiting on the Posi Quiet pads I ordered to compliment the rotors.

My initial impression is that these rotors are: well... AWSOME! Though I was surprised to see that they shipped me all black rotors for the front, I didn't know that this was even an option. The rear rotors state that they are "installation ready". Maybe, the front need to be turned?

The front rotors are supper beefy weighing in at 28 lbs. The rears are 24 lbs. I'm curious as to how these compare to the weight of the stock rotors. The holes are smaller than I expected, but then again, these are the first set of high preformance rotors I have ever owned.

I'm now thinking that I should order stainless brake lines. I'm not sure the "boss" will approve though.

I have these on my truck, my fronts weren't black though (looks cool though) I know they have new zinc coated ones. I got the stainless lines, they are surprisingly affordable. I didn't direct compare weight, but taking on/off they seemed about the same.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got mine all fully coated like your fronts. Its so that nothing rust due to the only bare metal is what the pads use.

OP
OP
TheJoker

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have these on my truck, my fronts weren't black though (looks cool though) I know they have new zinc coated ones. I got the stainless lines, they are surprisingly affordable. I didn't direct compare weight, but taking on/off they seemed about the same.

I believe that they stopped coating them in zinc. This most likely is why mine are black.

Rear: 03/04/2012
Front: 06/20/2013

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f195...oem-blank-rotors-no-longer-zinc-coated-24070/

So, If you do decide to buy these, they most likely will come all black.

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AWESOME! Thank you for sharing the pics! They are beefy rotors and they are a very well made product as well. I do need to clarify a few things about them though. The rotors you received are actually the R1Concepts Premium Series rotors with the black military grade electrocoat coating for corrosion protection. I am not sure why they didn't fully coat the rears, I will have to ask about that, I asked them to fully coat those because that is actually an extra option we have been playing with. They do not need turned before installation and the added coating on the pad surface will not hurt the braking performance of the rotors. The pads will make easy work of cleaning their "bite surface" on the rotors, but the added coating puts the coating into areas that the NON Fully Coated rotors wouldn't normally have on the outer edges of the rotor itself. Inside the drilled holes and slots and on the outer edge of the rotors. Without the added coating in those areas, the outer edge can and will develop a little rust in those areas and while not being as bad or building as quickly as OEM rotors, it is there nonetheless and I have been working with R1Concepts to try to make the extra coating a regular option for everyone. I have sold a few sets with that added protection and at this point, anyone that wants them can ask for that added coating when ordering.

Now, as for the Zinc coating. The R1Concepts Eline series rotors are the shiny zinc coated rotors that are seen in the link below. Their zinc coating, while being good, isn't as good as the military black e-coating and they are made from G3000 cast iron where the Premium rotors are made from G3500 cast iron. So although the Eline series are a great option for smaller vehicles, the Premium rotors with the black coating are a much better option for the Raptor because of the size of the truck and the way that most of us use them.

As for R1Concepts no longer coating with the Zinc coating, that is ONLY with the OEM Blanks, the rotors with no drilling or slotting. The reason for it is that the Zinc coated rotors, even when not fully coated, still get some of the zinc on the pad surface of the rotors. When there aren't any drilled holes or slots on the pad surface, that zinc coating will sort of build up and "roll up" under the pads and cause them NOT to brake as well. They still coat the slotted, drilled and drilled & slotted versions of the Eline series rotors because the drills and slots help to cut away the excess zinc coating from the face of the rotors and pads and the "rolling up" of the excess coating on the rotors is eliminated. SO, if you are buying OEM blanks, you will NOT receive coated rotors, they will come the same uncoated finish that you can get at any auto parts store.

Click here to use the year make and model look up for a 2010 F150 4x4 6-lug and the parts listed in that page are the required parts for the Raptor up to 2010-2011. They are still working on adding the parts for the 2012+ Raptors and the 2012+ trucks rear brakes are different, so anyone with 2012+ should contact me personally for a quote on them.
R1Concepts - OEM, Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors - Brake Pads - Brake Calipers

Again, I truly appreciate your sharing the pics! Enjoy your new parts, you will not be disappointed!

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation chris. That black coating sounds like it should work nicely and look great!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, to be clear, the FULL Coating is not something you can order through their website. While the rotors in their catalog DO come coated, it is only the hubs that are coated, like the rear rotors in TheJoker's original post. To obtain the full coating, that is an option that must be requested through me. I am not even sure if you can call R1 and request it, it is not something they do often, but I had requests for it on another forum so I just recently began offering it regularly as an option.