R1 concept rotors - brake pads gone fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wampa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a question for folks who run R1 Concept brake rotors.

I had them + heavy duty brake pads installed ~15k miles ago and my rear pad was completely gone. Is that normal? My front pads had atleast 50% life left.

Thanks

Changing Brake Pads - Gen 1 Ford SVT Raptor

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just shy of 30k miles on mine and no, all four pads still look new (I got the pads & rotors from Freedom Motorsports). If one side (of the same caliper) was that worn and the other side wasn't I'd say it might be the caliper sticking on the guide pins, but it looked like both were pretty roached. I'm no expert but I thought the braking bias was like 60% front and 40% rear, so they make the fronts a bit thicker and even with two pistons on front they should wear pretty even with the rear. So you might have either junk rear pads (are they the same type/brand as the fronts?) or possibly the rear caliper pistons are sticking? The latter probably wouldn't be the case if both rears looked the same so...maybe a different brand of brake pad would work better.

Side note, cool tool, I always just use a block of wood (or old brake pad) and a c-clamp heh. Zero chance of the piston cocking in the caliper with that tool though, nice.

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am no expert on brakes but with the wear on the inner one and the rotor still looking pretty good besides the lines on it, what are the chances the one was defective and the pad came off?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
aRen't you suppose to use anti-seize on the back of the pads for squeaking? How many miles on your truck total, I had to replace both my rear calipers at 100k as they were hanging up, the fronts are still oem. Nice video, but I would of turned that rotor before putting pads on it. Nice tires/rims! If you do change up your calipers, I would get some S/S lines to go with them, I did that when she was new, as they are a weaak point.

OP
OP
Wampa

Wampa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no expert on brakes but with the wear on the inner one and the rotor still looking pretty good besides the lines on it, what are the chances the one was defective and the pad came off?
Yah I'm not sure, wondering if at some point offroading it jammed up and burnt some pad off. Going to try to monitor with every oil change moving forward.

aRen't you suppose to use anti-seize on the back of the pads for squeaking? How many miles on your truck total, I had to replace both my rear calipers at 100k as they were hanging up, the fronts are still oem. Nice video, but I would of turned that rotor before putting pads on it. Nice tires/rims! If you do change up your calipers, I would get some S/S lines to go with them, I did that when she was new, as they are a weaak point.
I didn't know that... I thought squeaking was due to lack of heat. I am about to hit 100k, something to add to this list, thank you.

Yah definitely like the combo ATM. After owning my gen 2 and my first offroading in the gen 1 I knew I had to upgrade the brakes asap. They are so bad OEM, when driving hard.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not normal.. Usually get twice the miles on a rear set versus the front.
Id look into that caliper at the very least, its obviously hanging up to wear the one that bad.