R in the wild!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Get ready to be disappointed, the R will come in more than one color option.
Haha. Did you mean TRX?
I won’t be disappointed in the least if the vaporware Raptor R were resurrected from the dead and it made its way to the open market.

It won’t.

But I wouldn’t be disappointed in the least if in this fantasy world that were to happen. ;-)
V8 S/C........hmmmmm. possible several of us on here have Gen Juan R models?
I’m thinking that’s the closest we’ll come to it.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For whatever reason I just have never liked a Dodge product after about 1974 or so. Both the Viper and the SRT10 handled like wet bricks. Good concept bad reality. I worked with a guy who had a 2020 1500 4x4 crew and it was just overly frontend heavy. Hell, my '06 seems front heavy but not that bad.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For whatever reason I just have never liked a Dodge product after about 1974 or so. Both the Viper and the SRT10 handled like wet bricks. Good concept bad reality. I worked with a guy who had a 2020 1500 4x4 crew and it was just overly frontend heavy. Hell, my '06 seems front heavy but not that bad.
My 1976 ram charger with a 318 was a beast of a truck, loved that rust bucket. Last dodge I owned until I got my Wrangler.

cammac50

Reaction score
I am.
Ford will not release the V8 Raptor to market. There.

I’ve said this from the beginning and not going to change horses now. That said, I’ll be glad to be wrong. As I’ve opined previously, I think Ford sees that they’re actually years behind the TRX in powertrain dev. not simply a factor of slapping the 5.2 s/c into the truck. The truck drive train and suspension work well up to about 525-550 crank hp; tuned trucks prove that. Once you start pushing the torque up, the 10r80 isn’t up to it as delivered so tough to say what “fuse” in the power train will be.

If it was that easy, the truck would have been released last year when teased. Every day it’s not on the market is another TRX sale. that’s a truck sale lost to Ford and going to a direct competitor. Plus, Ford can’t keep up with regular F150 and super duty production demands, allegedly due to supply chain issues but probably more than just suppliers at this point.

I think at one point Ford had honest intentions of trying to compete with the TRX but ultimately the numbers just aren’t in Ford’s favor. While the TRX continues to sell, even in the face of $6.00 / gallon fuel (that’s regular, not the super that will almost certainly be required for a s/c V8 Rap), but they’re not selling like they were when gas was $2.50 gallon... Upper management isn’t looking for a gas guzzler in the face of record fuel prices and a bad economy.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.
As I’ve said previously, if Ford wants to troll me, they can release the s/c v8 Raptor only available in lead foot grey. I’m waiting....
Great points on the Hp & Torque. Didn't the SVT Mustang (2016?) have issues when it first had the independent rear end?
Question is how is the Shelby F150 handling that power?

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am.
Ford will not release the V8 Raptor to market. There.

I’ve said this from the beginning and not going to change horses now. That said, I’ll be glad to be wrong. As I’ve opined previously, I think Ford sees that they’re actually years behind the TRX in powertrain dev. not simply a factor of slapping the 5.2 s/c into the truck. The truck drive train and suspension work well up to about 525-550 crank hp; tuned trucks prove that. Once you start pushing the torque up, the 10r80 isn’t up to it as delivered so tough to say what “fuse” in the power train will be.

If it was that easy, the truck would have been released last year when teased. Every day it’s not on the market is another TRX sale. that’s a truck sale lost to Ford and going to a direct competitor. Plus, Ford can’t keep up with regular F150 and super duty production demands, allegedly due to supply chain issues but probably more than just suppliers at this point.

I think at one point Ford had honest intentions of trying to compete with the TRX but ultimately the numbers just aren’t in Ford’s favor. While the TRX continues to sell, even in the face of $6.00 / gallon fuel (that’s regular, not the super that will almost certainly be required for a s/c V8 Rap), but they’re not selling like they were when gas was $2.50 gallon... Upper management isn’t looking for a gas guzzler in the face of record fuel prices and a bad economy.

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.
As I’ve said previously, if Ford wants to troll me, they can release the s/c v8 Raptor only available in lead foot grey. I’m waiting....

It sounds like you haven‘t seen any of the leaked photos showing the V8 on the assembly line for the Raptor.

My argument with why Ford is taking this long is due to the fact that they’re doing their R&D to make sure it’s competitive with the TRX. My personal thoughts are RAM simply slapped in the Hellcat engine into the TRX, upgraded the suspension and shipped them to dealerships. How many “sneak peak” videos have you seen showing RAM was out doing a comprehisive test against a Raptor? There may have been a couple but not near as many as we’ve all seen with the Raptor. Why would any manufacture want to release a new product without doing their R&D?

I don’t believe Ford is behind the curve. The Raptor is like an iPhone. It dominates the truck market. The TRX is the only competition and IMO, the only thing appealing about he truck is the engine. I have confidence that you’ll see TRX’s traded-in for the Raptor R. If you can afford a $100K+ truck then gas prices shouldn’t be a financial concern. If it is, then the truck isn’t for you.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe Ford is behind the curve. The Raptor is like an iPhone. It dominates the truck market. The TRX is the only competition and IMO, the only thing appealing about he truck is the engine. I have confidence that you’ll see TRX’s traded-in for the Raptor R. If you can afford a $100K+ truck then gas prices shouldn’t be a financial concern. If it is, then the truck isn’t for you.
I agree 100% with that. However, given the Raptor 3.5 V6 (I’m embarrassed just typing that) the TRX has and is winning over a lot of Raptor owners, myself included.

I’m a Ford truck guy, and I absolutely without question think the Raptor is a better all around truck vs the TRX, but what it packs under the hood is pathetic when the TRX is calling your name with a 6.2l S/C V8. Childish of me? Perhaps. But I fully admit that there’s a 12yr old inside of me that controls a lot of big purchase decisions.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What i seen on other platforms 10r80 is good till 700hp at wheels. Whose to say they wont put a 10r140 trasmission in it. or beef up the 10r80 , i'm sure there is going to be huge torque management as in cutting boost every shift . No full throttle till higher gears . Stuff like that .

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is the clamor for a V8? I watched the Indy 500 yesterday, well part of it, and they run 2.2 liter twin turbocharged V6 engines. 700hp, 12000 rpm. I’ll take that, tyvm.
Those aren't exactly truck engines ... LOL. Maybe V8 because V8s were cool back in the 1960s, when most of us were kids. I heard a TRX accelerate away from a stoplight the other day. It did nothing for me, but then I was never musically talented and I've lost quite a bit of my hearing, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. If I could have anything I wanted, I'd get Mr Fusion and independent DC electric drive at each wheel.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It sounds like you haven‘t seen any of the leaked photos showing the V8 on the assembly line for the Raptor.
I’ve seen the those pics. I still don’t believe Ford brings the s/c V8 to market.
Whose to say the pic isn’t a fake? Why has Ford been radio silent in the face of blatant market loss?

The financials don’t really make sense for this truck, especially now. Sure, the Rap sells what? 20k / year in its heyday? I haven’t seen a graph of current TRX sales, but based on chatter here, I’d say there are a LOT of big talkers here who proclaim they’re going to buy it who won’t. We’ve got legion of Jen Juan owners crying about EM PEE GEES since 2010
One and ONLY gas mileage thread please
Do you honestly believe the “v8 or die” owners are going to jump on the S/C v8 Raptor, were it ever to be released? Or would they just hold on to their classics and be content with what they have?

This, in the era of $5.00 and up gas prices, something that the US economy literally cannot sustain long term, but that’s another discussion for another day. The F150 that gets better fuel economy is a better sales option for Ford, particularly if they can deliver solid power and reliability.

Why would any manufacture want to release a new product without doing their R&D?

Good question; Ford does a credible job at ensuring the F series trucks can do truck things, with truck owners like Florida-Man and survive. But that’s assuming that Ford is actually doing that.

I don’t believe Ford is behind the curve. The Raptor is like an iPhone. It dominates the truck market. The TRX is the only competition and IMO, the only thing appealing about he truck is the engine

I think the iPhone comparison isn’t a bad one, but yeah, Ford has been behind the curve for a few years actually. Pretty much everyone has been lambasting the Jen Too interior as compared to Dodge. Then Dodge teased the TRX and I am guessing the marketing team at Ford scoffed at them or something along those lines. So instead of immediately planning a counterstrike, they continued to evolve the truck suspension and interior, but the engine is largely unchanged.

I think a bunch of TRX owners by way of a Raptor seem to be saying the truck is more than capable enough and the engine and transmission may dominate, but it has enough to compete with Ford.

What i seen on other platforms 10r80 is good till 700hp at wheels. Whose to say they wont put a 10r140 trasmission in it. or beef up the 10r80 , i'm sure there is going to be huge torque management as in cutting boost every shift
Don’t need to beef it up that much for the next eco boost ;-)

Just to say again, just because I don’t believe there will be “Raptor R” s/c v8, doesn’t mean I don’t want Ford to make it. It would be great if they did.