Quotes on installing RPG Perch Collars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the RPG collars installed for $590 at my local shop. A lot less than the $1500 I was quoted initially.
Right on! So... let us know how you feel about them. Is it leveled our could you have with the next size up from RPG, and can you feel any difference in the ride? And did you have to adjust your headlight down (a step most folks forget)? Thanks!

dmxstak

Reaction score
Hey guys, I installed the RPG collars myself on my Gen 3. I think the RPG video is a little optimistic on the time. It took me about 4 hours or so to do mine. I fought the spring and spring compressors positions on the drivers side and when I moved over to the passenger side I could not get the compressors in with everything assembled. I tried doing it with only one spring compressor but it would not compress the spring enough. I ended up disconnecting the upper a-arm and tie rod and axle and pulling the assembly out of the way and then I was able to get both the spring compressors in there. So depending how the shop is doing it it may take more time.
Kevin
I assume they install similar to the Gen 2's, if so, I had a similar experience putting mine on. Also getting the OEM collar to break free is a real pain. I spent about the same amount of time as you, had to get different spring compressors.

kev4dez

Reaction score
I assume they install similar to the Gen 2's, if so, I had a similar experience putting mine on. Also getting the OEM collar to break free is a real pain. I spent about the same amount of time as you, had to get different spring compressors.
Yep, should be the same as Gen 2s. Had to work the lower spring seat up incrementally with a block of wood and a hammer, that was a pain.
Kevin

OP
OP
Pitboss02

Pitboss02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on! So... let us know how you feel about them. Is it leveled our could you have with the next size up from RPG, and can you feel any difference in the ride? And did you have to adjust your headlight down (a step most folks forget)? Thanks!
Love them. I'm glad I went with the 1.5inch collar. Have not turned headlights down yet, this weekends project.

MookeyB37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched the install video on RPG's website and it took 20-30 minutes per side. They were able to install them without removing much if anything. 8hrs seems really high.
Ok so this video… I’m calling BS!
I tried to do this yesterday and after trying every possible way… it just wasn’t possible.

You can’t compress the spring enough while it’s on the truck enough to give you adequate room to push the stock perch up. Not to mention you can only get the spring compressors on the front portion of the spring so once you start tightening them, the spring compresses but curls the top outward and pulls it from the top perch… which is a nightmare to try getting back into place.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this on a previous vehicle and it wasn't worth the time it took.

Unless you have a lift, just pay a shop to do it

jajones45

Reaction score

I have the same question about it being level or not at 1.5”. I heard the drop was only 3/4” but the source is not verified lol.

I’m assuming one would lose some MPGs given the truck is more air resistant?

Never thought about the headlight adjustment. What’s that calibration like given everything is computer driven?

Lastly, I also want to know if there’s any difference in the ride.

All these additions are “wants” and not “needs”, I like to be certain I’m not wasting money without a smile attached to the spend lol.

pandonsf

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We charge $460 to install them. Located in San Bruno near SFO and have worked on numerous Gen 1 and Gen 2 Raptors. We remove the whole spring/strut to install them. If someone has a portable spring compressor they could probably do it alot faster. In my experience most professional shops do not use portable spring compressors.
What shop?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free