Quick question on upfitter wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMc2

Reaction score
before I make a terrible mistake…my upfitter wires came with black tips that appear to be wax like substance. Do I cut this part off to get down to the colored part of the wire? Apologize for the newbie question. Pic attached.

Attachments

• 216A4225-4060-4453-9D84-6165D5B36DD8.jpeg
    216A4225-4060-4453-9D84-6165D5B36DD8.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 38

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before I make a terrible mistake…my upfitter wires came with black tips that appear to be wax like substance. Do I cut this part off to get down to the colored part of the wire? Apologize for the newbie question. Pic attached.
You can strip it off.

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider soldering wire extensions to the upfitter wires. It’ll make your life easier down the road. Maybe a foot or so of 14 AWG stranded wire to each.
Good point. I ended up adding weather pack connections to them instead, so you never need to do another cut, soldier, splice, etc., down the road. Plus, SVP uses WP connectors on their harnesses and I've used a couple of those, so it makes a great tie in.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upfitter wires on my gen 2 are tiny. Some of them are like 20 gauge or smaller.

I soldered 14 gauge to each of them and the pass through wires, to make them easier to work with.

I attached the lengthened wires to Deutsch 6 plug connectors.

Now all of the wires are plug and play.