Quick Question - Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPD

Reaction score
I am a fairly new Raptor owner - 2019 Magnetic... I have just reached 5,000 miles. I have read some of the forum threads here and feel that its time to change the oil. My ford pass app tells me that my oil is at 51% of oil life. Should I ignore ford pass?

Bat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do every 5,000 due to living in a fairly rural area with lots of wind and dust.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO you went too long for your first change. Should have changed it at 25-3000 and started using full synthetic. From then on no more than 5000 is the way to go. I also believe you should get a catch can installed. Run 93 octane non ethanol if available, better gas mileage and it makes these bad boys perform. Personally I look at the oil life but just to see what it says, I change every 5 with rotate & balance. I have an 18 now in 2 years with no issues. Running it like I stole it and she just keeps on pulling!

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have changed it 4,000 miles ago for the first change, so yes change it now.

OP
OP
JPD

JPD

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the quick feedback! Very much appreciated

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My $.02 CDN...

Leave the factory oil in. Change at 5k miles. Keep an eye on the level. My factory fill was low and of course the dealer did not even look at the level @ delivery. I put a quart in later. I’ve haven’t been back for service and never will.

I have done a couple UOA on Rotella T6 and Amsoil SS. The TBN indicates that the oil would not last 10k miles OCI. I’m not sure how the oil life indicator calculates the percentage. Mileage? Time?

In my case, 5-6k miles is ideal. That aligns with other maintenance that I perform on the Raptor.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Change at 5k miles. Keep an eye on the level
That's about what I've been doing and feel comfortable with that...Fords recommendation of about 10,000 miles is a pipe dream in my opinion.
Several good oils out there, but I would not run anything NOT fully synthetic...I run Redline, but again there are others...

PS...have about 30K miles and have never had an low oil situation....