Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Quick Question - Oil

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by JPD, Jan 11, 2020.

1. MnFlyer

MnFlyer Full Access Member

Mobil 1. 5w30

Normal driving, highway mostly at 65.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JohnyPython

JohnyPython Full Access Member

Rotella T6 5w40 is really popular in the Subaru world. I switched when my tuner suggested that 5w40 will not burn in EJ257 engines even though the OM specifies 5w30. Rotella T6 is great oil and it withstands quite a bit of abuse in my STi. I usually get 5k miles out of it (Blackstone tested). I ran Rotella T6 5w30 MV in my Raptor and Blackstone said it was good for about 7k miles.

The Subaru community up here stayed away from M1 because it burned in EJ engines. I never used RP but Motul was good in the Sube too.

3. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 FRF Addict

Not sure why people use royal purple.

SVTFordRaptor likes this.
  4. Trackar

Trackar Full Access Member

@JohnyPython motul is amazing. Use that for everything else, but stick to rotella for the engine oil since it gets pricey when you do change it as often as I do and it’s easier to find.
    if you don’t mind it, Motul all the way

JohnyPython likes this.
  5. K223

K223 Full Access Member

Curious, when did the trend start with manufacturers using liquid cooled turbos?

I know years ago bearing failures were more common and turbos used to cook the oil really bad. I would say this is what gave turbo’s a really bad rap.

6. Fury Road

Fury Road Full Access Member

About 4K miles on my truck. Oil like monitor recently dropped down to 12%. I have a maintenance plan through Ford but they won’t change it until it hits 5k otherwise I have to pay for it. Debating just taking it in and paying for an oil change anyway..

7. nikhsub1

nikhsub1 FRF Addict

I always used Motul in my Euro cars - really good stuff. I now switch off between Amsoil and Schaeffers. The Schaeffers actually made the truck quieter and idle smoother, go figure.

8. Ricks Ruby Red 19

Ricks Ruby Red 19 Member

Take a good look at the oil you drained out at 5000 miles in the sun light or with a very bright flashlight. You will wish you would have done it at 500 miles not 5000 miles. Changed mine at 400 miles the first time and there was a lot of fine metals in it always is like that the first time. Every one wants to have to do less oil changes you would not be to happy if you had to bring your new truck back at 500 miles for a oil change but that would be the best thing to do.