Quick lube place

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
I think it was 60 Minutes that recently ran a sting on the quick lube shops. Busted big time for charging for work not done, damage to vehicles, etc.

Years ago when I did outside sales I racked up a lot of miles. Typically 7k-8k/month. I used those places regularly until on one trip they told me my rear diff was low on fluid. I was driving a front wheel drive car.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need the universe to remind you why its never a good idea to be lazy.

Let my cautionary tale be a warning for all my fellow Raptor drivers.

Last edited:

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was parked next to a quick lube place getting Wendy’s next door, when I got back to my truck the manager came up and said nice truck if you ever need a oil change we can handle it for you. I looked right at him trying not to laugh and said I appreciate that but this one only goes to the dealer, he said oh and walked off.

D

Deleted member 12951

Think that is bad. Back in 93, took my Mazda B2200 truck to Jiffy Lube and drove 30 miles afterwards to work. After getting off work and starting it up, the oil light was on. Checked oil, nothing on the dip stick. Luckily gas station nearby, buy a quart, check again, nothing. Buy another, check again, nothing. Ended up putting in 5 quarts, I shit you not.

The only thing I think saved anything was having Slick50 in it. Jiffy Lube denied any wrong doing and that truck burnt a quart of oil every other month till they day I got rid of it, 10 years later.

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked right at him trying not to laugh and said I appreciate that but this one only goes to the dealer, he said oh and walked off.

I don't reckon dealership oil change is night and day better than jiffy lube.

They will not wait for any significamt time for old oil to drip out and will not make sure the new oil containers are bone dry before throwing them out. They just wont do the little things, it's not their baby.

#changeoilyourself

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
There is a spare drain plug in my glove box. Seems like a natural to carry one

That's a good idea. I don't carry one in my glove compartment but I do keep one in my chase rack tool box. I might move to the storage tray under the rear seat.

Back in '96 the one and only time I went to a quick lube place that just opened (don't recall the name it was associated with Unocal 76 though) the tech and I did an inspection of the car before going in to the shop for the lube.

Oil change went fine the tech said and parked the car in an odd way position that would have be driving forward out of the lot... while all the other cars are parked in parking spots. I didn't think anything of it at that time but but I wanted to head out on another street so I backed up. That's when I noticed coolant on the ground.

One of the grease monkey's broke the radiator support and cracked the radiator. Grease monkey said it was like that before... yeah right gushing coolant and nobody says anything and what about when the service writer and I who did the inspection before it went in for the lube? I got loud with this fat idiot claiming its not their fault and the manager came out and owned up to the problem.

We ended up getting a new radiator. It was a 5 year old Honda daily driver with 90k on it so at least it saved me on having to do a flush on my dime :)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Pictures are a great protectant when you have a shop claiming ignorance or disputing facts.

Wife had a problem with the locals on her ‘Roo after an oil change. I ride, so oil in my driveway or near it are a big no-go. I sent the car and wife back, checked and NPF.

I called BS, so I took a yard stick and measured to the drip spot, took pictures and brought the car back with the wife. Oil and and drain were fine, but her car has an apron under the engine that was soaked with oil and dripping down.

Even the manager said to the mech: you can’t hide from the pictures, they don’t lie. They cleaned it up, and remember to not repeat making that mess.

I usually snap pics in dodgy situations, like parking next to a prius, or similar **** hauler, turning a vehicle over to a suspect for any manner of contract work or maintenance. Not always, but definitely if I don’t know them.