Quick Heads up on DIY Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, really enjoying my new Raptor, what an awesome truck!! Have had mine since June 20th and drove it home from St. Louis MO. Decided to change out the oil & filter at 2500 miles. Used the Ford OEM filter with Mobil 1 full syn. I have a June 18 build date and do have the metal oil pan and drain plug.

Couple of things: 1) Ford didn't make the access hole under the oil drain plug large enough (yes I did have the cover removed ;)) - so once the stream loses pressure it will run onto the skid plate. Pack shop towels under the drain plug area and you should be able to catch it b4 it runs down plate. 2) Once I started removing the oil filter, oil came running out the plastic tray (that is mounted below the oil filter for this very reason). Note that none came out the front of the plastic tray but about 1/4 quart came out the rear of the plastic tray right through the small hole in the skid plate and onto the garage floor. Just be sure you have your drain pan under both areas and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I haven't changed my gen 2 yet but on the gen 1 I always took the entire skid plate down. An impact with the socket on it will have it down in 2 min. Makes getting to things a lot easier and no mess.

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree
Always remove my skid plate on my Gen 1 for oil change. A little anti seize on the skid plate bolts help for the following removal of skid plate for future oil changes!