Questions on tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you put street tires on an off-road truck?

Half of the street tires have more aggressive tread than those?

When's the last time you have seen a hard packed motocross tire look like a street bike tire or even a super moto tire?

Looks aren't everything, the BFG Project isn't a veryy aggressive tire. It's arguably the greatest desert tire made. There is a reason many Trophy trucks run them. And the reason ISN'T sponsorship. BFG doesn't sponsor any race teams. Nobody gets BFG's for free.

My point is, perceived aggressiveness means jack shit.

I am curious about tread wear. I like the BFG's a lot for that. My dad's H2 got 59k miles out of his factory BFG's. But my Raptor does not seem to be wearing as nicely, but I assume that to be because of the softer compound.

I also noticed that the BFG's on the Raptor are more slick on wet pavement. I am not sure if that is due to the softer tire (I would assume this would help actually) but I do know that a big part of it is due to the power of the 6.2 and it being rear wheel drive.

So basically I am looking for a tire that has long tread life (hoping 50k or more) and better on wet pavement. I do not need a very aggressive tread as I only off road maybe 2-5% but I do want to have a decent tread for when I do off road. I am considering the Hankook Dynapro ATm's in the near future or just sticking with the BFG's.

Can you guys with the Falkens and Duratracs comment on tread life?

Also, any thoughts about the Hankook Dynapro ATm?
I read a review about the Dynapro MT here a while ago: Hankook Tires and GT Wheels - Off-Road Magazine

You might look at the Toyo Open country AT II's. I love mine, 65,000 mile warranty too, longer then our trucks lol.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Why would you put street tires on an off-road truck?

Half of the street tires have more aggressive tread than those?

When's the last time you have seen a hard packed motocross tire look like a street bike tire or even a super moto tire?

I've never seen a tire on a race car like a motocross tire tread. The closest I've seen is the new Maxxis race tire. But that's a race tire. You wouldn't put an M404 or an MX51 on a dual sport bike. At the end of the day the Raptor is a dual sport that uses a street tire (DOT approved) that needs to do offroad duty.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My BFGs were basically ruined after just one Raptor run with my driving style...

With my Falkens, I've done:

Land Rush 1000 (860 miles off road)
Death Valley twice (500+ off road each time)
2 pre-runs (250+ miles off road each)

After that, they're still in excellent shape... Which is pretty crazy considering I'm spinning them every chance I get. HANDS DOWN better durability than stock BFG, at least when off road.

Silent on road. And I mean SILENT. All I hear is the wind now.

Wet traction has been great, although I've only been in rain twice since having them.

Can't say enough good things. The more people that buy them, the more the word will spread how great they are. I'm confident this will become THE go-to tire for people looking for a reliable, well priced, quiet, durable, all-around GREAT tire for the Raptor.

Look at the link I posted a few pages back, the collection of off road magazine reviews. Literally every single one is praising this tire, in almost all categories.

No SHI*!!! Good post!! Mine are silent! I go through tires faster than some go through cold beer. Only run mine till about half life then new ones. Cost of the tire for me is irrelevant. Refuse to skimp on tires.

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't had them in snow, or deep mud yet... So I can't say for sure in those two areas (although 6.2 has). In all other aspects, hands down... Price included.

Discounttiredirect.com has them (35x12.5x17) for $246 with free shipping. Can't go wrong.

Fantastic in snow, even deep ish packed snow. And for an AT, fantastic in mud. They do require wheel speed in deep mud to keep clean, but I have yet to get stuck while running them. And I've tried to.

Banned
Reaction score
How are the side walls on the falkens?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great sidewall. And it looks great when dusty.

uhupe5un.jpg

during summer/fall I'm in the bush getting firewood, and quite often there are sharp pointy pieces of wood, never had any issues with sidewall puncturing on these tires. There's barely even any scratches on them.

I trust them enough that I don't even have a spare.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Duratracs with NVs are mounted. I weighed the stock wheel and tires and they are 98.2, 97.65, 97.6 and 96.8 pounds. I am not sure if it makes any difference but the stock setup have 4087 miles. The NVs with Duratrac are 92.6, 92.6, 92.6 and 92.4. So I saved roughly 5 pounds per corner with the Duratracs and NVs.

BTW .. stock lug nuts were 5.8 pounds. The spline lug nuts ordered from TMX for the NVs were 3.4 pounds. :)

Man, That Looks so good. Can't wait to see them on the truck. Good job with the paring for equal weights. Also want to hear what the stock setup weighs.

Last edited: