Questions on tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcjohnson22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've asked questions on Duratracs on a different thread before but I have seen so many people run the Open Country MT I can't decide what to think. I am pretty sure that the next set of tires I run will be one of the two but I need to get some input from the people who bought what to see why they those their tire.

I think I like the look of the Open Country a little better, but I can't say I've seen them in person side by side to compare. I don't want something that isn't going to last like a tire should.. especially for the price tires are for our trucks. And I need a tire that is going to handle well here in Missouri in our harsh winters (Freezing rain, snow, ice, slush, etc.)

Any help here will be appreciated. If you have one of the two you might tell me the size and why you chose it. I don't want my offset outside of the fenders. All I've heard from people who have done that is negative things in the long run. Please no bashing on the tires just because you don't like them. You can say something to give me info if something bad happened to your own set of Duratracs or Open Country's.

Thanks

Banned
Reaction score
duratracs will do far better in the winter than toyo's

Mud tires absolutely suck in winters. so if you are truly concerned about winter driving, get duratracs.

OR, sipe the shit out of the toyo's

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my Duratracs will be delivered this Wed. I am mounting them on Method NVs. Regardless I will weigh them by themselves and then weigh them mounted to NVs and then compare them to the Oem wheel/tire weight. I will take lots of pics so you can better make up your mind.

BTW, I purchased my Duratracs from TireCrazy.com for super cheap so check there for pricing if you plan to go the Duratrac route.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with the comments about the Toyo's and Winter/Snow...

I live in Northern IL and also went on the Snoball 500...My Toyo's eat up the snow...along with everything else I throw at them.

And as far as weight...Yea they weight 20 lbs more each or 80 lbs total...on a 6,000+ lb truck....which is irrelevant!!!! :sexywiz:

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I live in Northern IL and also went on the Snoball 500...My Toyo's eat up the snow...along with everything else I throw at them.

And as far as weight...Yea they weight 20 lbs more each or 80 lbs total...on a 6,000+ lb truck....which is irrelevant!!!! :sexywiz:

I don't think you should comment on tire weight if you don't have even a basic understanding of the effects of extra rotational mass

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think you should comment on tire weight if you don't have even a basic understanding of the effects of extra rotational mass
Weight DOES matter... but some people give it WAY more of a priority than it's really worth on these trucks. A 20-lb difference is substantial, but will it affect performance enough for people to really "feel" a big difference? Mostly likely, no. Yes, the difference is there, and you may feel a difference, but it surely won't be a drastic one. Keep in mind, more rubber is a GOOD thing for the most part, in an off road tire (to a point) because you're likely getting more plys or a thicker compound, which will mean less flats on the trails! The most flats we see on the runs, are the guys with the stock BFG's... which is a light tire!

The biggest difference is when switching to a larger tire, like a 37... that's when you REALLY start to feel the performance losses, because of the change in your gear ratio.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, 80 pounds on a 6000 pound truck is irrelevant if the weight is in your bed. Having 20 pounds more at each corner is crazy heavy. Think about a wheel/tire spinning at 80 mphs. The kinetic energy or energy in motion is much greater than a wheel/tire combo that is 20 pounds lighter. Your acceleration and braking will suffer with more weight at the corners.

I expect my duratracc with NVs to be 6-8 pounds lighter at each corner when compared to the OEM wheel and tire combo.

There has already been some reviews where running duratracs will increase your MPG by 1-2 MPGs.

Last edited: