Questions for aluminum-slatted roll-up bed cover owners (Truxedo Sentry/BAK Revolver)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I'm considering a Truxedo Sentry CT or BAK Revolver X4. (Not sure if there's any other "hard" roll ups).

Something that rolls up/stows out of way is critical for me....tri-fold covers aren't an option as they'd require being folded up against the window when hauling mountain bikes over a tailgate pad, which happens a lot. Also I like the fact that the whole thing can be removed quickly (without tools on the Sentry).

Had a few questions...
  • Do they make noise with all the interlinking metal parts, either in closed or rolled up position? On-road or off? I can't stand rattles and will just go with a soft cover if that's an issue. Gen2s are too dang quiet.
  • Can the tailgate be opened/closed freely with the covers in place? If not, can the cover be damaged if someone tries to?
  • Just generally speaking, are you happy with these things? And how have they aged over time, especially if you park outside?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had an original BAK roll on my truck for 7 years (note: only 23k miles on the truck) through high summer heat and winter ice and it still works great. Doesn't make any noise. Cover should be slightly open when closing the tailgate to avoid damaging the rear seal but if it's important to you that a valet / car wash guy / significant other can't damage anything when closing the tailgate then you can tweak the mounts so the rear lip is over so slightly elevated. Not that most elegant solution but I've seen it work.

Pro tip: watch your fingers when rolling it open.

Don't know anything about the other one.

tom wansor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a Truxedo Sentry CT or BAK Revolver X4. (Not sure if there's any other "hard" roll ups).

Something that rolls up/stows out of way is critical for me....tri-fold covers aren't an option as they'd require being folded up against the window when hauling mountain bikes over a tailgate pad, which happens a lot. Also I like the fact that the whole thing can be removed quickly (without tools on the Sentry).

Had a few questions...
  • Do they make noise with all the interlinking metal parts, either in closed or rolled up position? On-road or off? I can't stand rattles and will just go with a soft cover if that's an issue. Gen2s are too dang quiet.
  • Can the tailgate be opened/closed freely with the covers in place? If not, can the cover be damaged if someone tries to?
  • Just generally speaking, are you happy with these things? And how have they aged over time, especially if you park outside?

Have you used the tailgate pad with carbon framed mountain bikes? Was nervous about carbon being stressed in ways not designed for.

OP
OP
Droid

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Have you used the tailgate pad with carbon framed mountain bikes? Was nervous about carbon being stressed in ways not designed for.

Haven't heard of or seen any issues with mine or my friends, but I drive mellow with them on there...90% of higher end bikes these days are CF so I think it'd be commonly reported. Make sure tailgate pad has plenty of pad in it though. I had to buy a new one for the 2019 because the tailgate is ridiculously thick (got the Dakine ovesize-gate model, forget what it's called). Also I definitely like/use the bike-holding loops.

tom wansor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at BAK as well, but not sure bike will fit with the Thule Insta Gater bed mount and BAK rolled up. Was thinking of tailgate pad as next option for short bed in Raptor.

OP
OP
Droid

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I was looking at BAK as well, but not sure bike will fit with the Thule Insta Gater bed mount and BAK rolled up. Was thinking of tailgate pad as next option for short bed in Raptor.

I think modern long-slack-low bikes aren't going to work with insta-gater in a Raptor. When I ride solo I just lay bike down in back of bed, and it barely fits diagonally with front wheel cocked 45 degrees. Bike is a large Firebird 29...49" wheelbase and 29x2.6s on it...so pretty much 79" long. Might not even work in a medium-bed F-150. And it's just going to get worse...new Spec Enduro has an OMG 51" WB, at the rate the geometry keeps expanding, they'll be like hauling canoes soon. :D

tom wansor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean, my Yeti is about 75 inches long, but still not as long as the kayak I carry around. Im going to miss the 6"6 bed in my current GMC

IMG_20190905_172536705.jpg

Trail_Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I run a Fox tailgate pad (have done so for years) with carbon bikes and have had zero issues. Most bikes have shuttle guards on the underside of the down tube for this very purpose, my Santa Cruz Nomad 4 has one. But I've had other carbon bikes without shuttle guards and it's been fine.

cooooop_ks

Reaction score

Had a few questions...

I have the Bak Revolver X4, bought truck and cover in June 2019, 13K miles.
No noise that I have experienced rolled up or latched down and I have run a lot with the moon roof open. No issues opening and closing the tailgate with the cover closed. I experience all the elements in Kansas; rain, snow, ice, heat and dust. Dust is the worst. I am really impressed with how good of a job it does with the elements, especially dust. I roll and unroll probably 2-3 times a week.

379455_FC30A5EE.jpg

Jace21583

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the x4, it doesn't make any noise or chatter, easy to open easy to close. You can easily open and close the tailgate with the cover closed. It'll hold 400lbs so forw that's worth for ya. I can walk across it no problem and I'm about 190lbs. I wouldn't recommend stomping or jumping on it though. Hope this helps.