GEN 2 Questions about recently purchased used Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a used 2018 Raptor with about 58k miles on it. I purchased it from a dealership and got a smoking deal on it, including a free lifetime powertrain warranty. Unfortunately, this meant I wasn’t able to speak with the previous owner about the mods he did to the truck and the salesmen at the dealership didn’t know all the details.

From what I can see (and I’m not mechanically inclined at all) I have seen the following mods:
-RPG perch collars in front
-Deaver +3 in rear
-SVC adjustable bump stop
-skid plate
-spare tire relocated to trunk bed, Warn winch installed in its place (no remote included)
-Cobb cold air intake
-KC Pro6 light bar
-BuiltRight bedside rack system
-Tonneau cover

Every Aux switch in the truck was labeled, but so far it seems only the KC light bar is still connected. I’m not sure how to get the winch on and operating, as it did not come with a remote and is fully encased under the bed. There are also aftermarket lights (unsure of brand at this time) on the rear bumper which I cannot turn on. I have attached photos of the switches, take a look and see if they ring any bells.

I’m also not sure if the truck is tuned or not. There are several holes in the dash under the steering wheel which lead me to suspect there was a pedal commander or something similar, and the Cobb CAI make me believe it may have been tuned. I’m not sure if the dealership would have reverted that prior to selling.

I’ve also driven the truck about 600 miles, and my average MPGs right now are 13.7. I obviously didn’t purchase the truck as a commuter, but with current gas prices the average has me slightly concerned at this point. Looking around posts on here, it seems like people either get similar to my MPGs or get around 18 MPG. I have talked to Gen 2 owners who claim to get 19-20mpg, but I don’t see how. I’m wondering if the lift, skid plate, and light bar on my truck are making a significant impact on my MPGs. The truck has brand new 35” KO2s.

Regardless, I love the truck and am super excited about it! I just want to get to know it more thoroughly.

Thank you guys
Winch should be wired directly to the battery. It is on its own fuse and it’s pretty easy to spot, as it will use very large cable and it activate without the remote, but you can always free pull it.
Mpg is hand calculated?
I would have calculate it first. 600 miles is one tank of gas. The ECU won’t calibrate that quickly if it was idling a bunch and has been on many test drives it was most likely getting 8-9 mpg for a while. Mine gets 17 on 37s at 34psi.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light bar is going to hurt MPG, but check you air pressure.
I get much better mileage with 38-40 psi but I like the ride of 32F 34R and my eClik set full soft.

jchap711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a stage 2 Cobb tune with custom goosetune. I drive fairly aggressively and get 15.5 mph on 93

Mars911red

Reaction score
With the lifetime power train warranty read the fine print and make sure you follow the maintenance requirements. I know some won’t cover it if you do miss. But since they sold yours with mods I would hope you are covered

2ndFord

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a used 2018 Raptor with about 58k miles on it. I purchased it from a dealership and got a smoking deal on it, including a free lifetime powertrain warranty. Unfortunately, this meant I wasn’t able to speak with the previous owner about the mods he did to the truck and the salesmen at the dealership didn’t know all the details.

From what I can see (and I’m not mechanically inclined at all) I have seen the following mods:
-RPG perch collars in front
-Deaver +3 in rear
-SVC adjustable bump stop
-skid plate
-spare tire relocated to trunk bed, Warn winch installed in its place (no remote included)
-Cobb cold air intake
-KC Pro6 light bar
-BuiltRight bedside rack system
-Tonneau cover

Every Aux switch in the truck was labeled, but so far it seems only the KC light bar is still connected. I’m not sure how to get the winch on and operating, as it did not come with a remote and is fully encased under the bed. There are also aftermarket lights (unsure of brand at this time) on the rear bumper which I cannot turn on. I have attached photos of the switches, take a look and see if they ring any bells.

I’m also not sure if the truck is tuned or not. There are several holes in the dash under the steering wheel which lead me to suspect there was a pedal commander or something similar, and the Cobb CAI make me believe it may have been tuned. I’m not sure if the dealership would have reverted that prior to selling.

I’ve also driven the truck about 600 miles, and my average MPGs right now are 13.7. I obviously didn’t purchase the truck as a commuter, but with current gas prices the average has me slightly concerned at this point. Looking around posts on here, it seems like people either get similar to my MPGs or get around 18 MPG. I have talked to Gen 2 owners who claim to get 19-20mpg, but I don’t see how. I’m wondering if the lift, skid plate, and light bar on my truck are making a significant impact on my MPGs. The truck has brand new 35” KO2s.

Regardless, I love the truck and am super excited about it! I just want to get to know it more thoroughly.

Thank you guys
From your observations you're short-selling yourself, you are at least somewhat "mechanically inclined".

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck is stock other than an intake and accessport stage 1 and I get 15 mpg all off highway. Highway only gets 20. Have to swipe twice to fill up the SCAB 26 gal tank with premium. $130 for 23-24 gallons these days.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I would disconnect the battery and it will reset the system. It will now show the MPG's based on your driving habits, if it's still 13.....then you have a lead foot. I will say, these trucks burn a lot of fuel in city driving. It gets better on the highway.

OP
OP
blemm13

blemm13

Reaction score
Figuring out the after market parts was easy enough, but this is where I’m absolutely lost! Here’s some pics of under the hood and the wiring. I’m planning on taking it to Ford dealer to see if they can tell me whether the truck is tuned (I bought it from a VW dealership with a Ford under the same ownership). Also added a pic of the lights on the rear bumper.

Attachments

• D151507E-2E9A-42EC-B9DF-95728E88AA6C.jpeg
    D151507E-2E9A-42EC-B9DF-95728E88AA6C.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 9CE899F5-5AA9-45AD-BB91-53EE1AE7A6BA.jpeg
    9CE899F5-5AA9-45AD-BB91-53EE1AE7A6BA.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 59740454-DC75-45BC-9C01-F4FCF3639946.jpeg
    59740454-DC75-45BC-9C01-F4FCF3639946.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 95D523FD-C3FB-4A75-98E6-B248482C5977.jpeg
    95D523FD-C3FB-4A75-98E6-B248482C5977.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 27
  • DBC55A0E-29FC-4E97-AC1A-DE49A73B4B17.jpeg
    DBC55A0E-29FC-4E97-AC1A-DE49A73B4B17.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 27

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
Figuring out the after market parts was easy enough, but this is where I’m absolutely lost! Here’s some pics of under the hood and the wiring. I’m planning on taking it to Ford dealer to see if they can tell me whether the truck is tuned (I bought it from a VW dealership with a Ford under the same ownership). Also added a pic of the lights on the rear bumper.
...The wires labeled with 5, 15, etc are coming from the Upfitter Switches and I believe the previous owner identified the number of Amps (maximum load) that those Upfitters support. It seems that you just have one switch connected. That 300Amp circuit breaker is for some serious load!