Question Regarding HID's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJFDDS

Reaction score
New owner here. Have a question regarding the HID headlights (Xenons). There seems to be some movement of the headlight when hitting rough road. I can see the light movement mostly on the driver side. I was wondering if anybody else has noticed this and if this is just a characteristic of this type projection lamp. I own another car with Xenons and I don't notice this.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

atx

Reaction score
I've had my 13' for a week now and I am definitely having the same problem. I can notice it on both sides, its very frustrating. Do you have the factory or aftermarket head lights? I need to just go to the service center at my dealer but really just dont want to haha.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
2 things. as high as the Raptor sits and as squishy as the Raptor's suspension is will probably cause a very noticable "bounce" in the HID's low beam cutoff line. regular halogen bulbs spread the light so much that we don't notice the lights bouncing up and down as much. maybe this was a consideration overlooked by Ford/SVT

second possibility, HID high beams work by moving the cutoff shield out of the way when you kick them on. it's possible based on how the shield is constricted that it could be moving around and causing this light distortion.

here is a video showing how the shield moves for high beams

Technology: How a bixenon headlight projector works with a quick lights-on demo - YouTube

OP
OP
M

MJFDDS

Reaction score
I've had my 13' for a week now and I am definitely having the same problem. I can notice it on both sides, its very frustrating. Do you have the factory or aftermarket head lights? I need to just go to the service center at my dealer but really just dont want to haha.

I have the factory HID's. It almost appears as if the light is cutting out slightly.
Somewhat distracting...

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...looks like this is something that is reported by more than one owner. Is this then what is to be expected? If this is the norm...what can be done to fix it? I just hate to wait so long and then have something so stupid to deal with.

MikeD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...looks like this is something that is reported by more than one owner. Is this then what is to be expected? If this is the norm...what can be done to fix it? I just hate to wait so long and then have something so stupid to deal with.

I think it's the norm with HID's, every car I have owned that has them has had a little movement, what Birdman said makes sense.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Think Birdman is spot on... With quality retrofits I notice how much the front bounces around by watching cut off line. It is not perceptible while driving or sitting in the passenger seat.

-Greg